News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Replacing top motor for 1976 Eldorado?

Started by Eldorado Tex, November 13, 2012, 01:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldorado Tex

B Garrett

I just replaced the top motor on my 76 Eldorado.  I removed the back seat, You will need a big torx a T50 to be exact  to remove the seat belts  . The back of the seat is bolted on the seat belt retractors. The top  motor is right there, easy to remove.  Unscrew the actuator cables, then remove the top motor from the mounting device. The wires unplug from the switch that is mounted next to the top motor. I had to use the gearing from the old motor, the new one was just the motor and shaft. Overall it was a simple fix even for me I did not think to take pictures while doing it.
BGarrett  
CLC # 26753
76 Eldorado Convertible
2007 DTS

billy

I just finished doing the same thing, also changed the actuators and cables. Not that difficult. make sure all moving parts on side rails are well lubricated.  Now runs like new with very little noise.
Bill Madden

TJ Hopland

What part are you guys calling the actuators?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

B Garrett

Maybe I am using the wrong name but the cables run to a set of gears on each side of the car. These gears are attached to the top frame. The motor turns the cable, the cable turns the gear assembly, and the top moves up or down. The guy who replaced the top after I replaced the top motor recommended lubricating these and a spring loaded gizmo that sets the glass window in place when you lower the top. I use gizmo because I have no clue as to what that assembly is called.
Bill
BGarrett  
CLC # 26753
76 Eldorado Convertible
2007 DTS

cwcinps

Hello,
The "gear Boxes" on each side are called actuator (or side gear) and they can get bound up and be a part of why a Scissor top does not work right.  I put a generic picture I pulled from some guys in CA that know these tops well, in my opinion.  The actuators can been seen at http://store.convertibleparts.com/scssdgear.html as well.

The process is the motor spins and that turns the cables and those side gears move the top frame. The gears can wear to a point they get spots they bind up on.  If they get worn it will over stress the drive cables and motor.  You can remove them from the top frame and then move them manually.  They should move with the same pressure thru the entire range.  When I tested the first one it seemed stiff but smooth then I tried the other side and I could instantly tell why my top stuck half way up.  So that is the first step in my opinion. 

There is a fisher body book on scissor tops alone and you can usually find them from sellers here or E-Bay.  They are helpful to understand the basics and with enough time and my friend Google I found a lot of help on the internet too.

Just a note, the joints on the frame can be a problem too.  If they get tweaked or are not lubricated it can add a drag the system cannot overcome too.

Hope this helps
Chris
Chris

1957 Coupe deVille
1976 Convertible Eldorado