News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What octain gas do I need for my 1960 Tri-power engine

Started by 60eldo, November 15, 2012, 09:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Some say I need 100 octain,,,is this true...should I add octain boost?
Jon. Klu

76eldo

I have a 60 convertible with the Q-code Tri Power engine. I run pump premium with no pinging or other problems. At 8 mpg or so you will go broke in a hurry running 100 octane race gas and its totally unnecessary. Try to avoid ethanol if possible.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Renato

Ohh guys in Europe we using 95 octan and Caddys works great. The key for the long time is the lead treatment. I attached a picture. This item avaliable in the States too. You must use it to protect the valves in the engine.

The old East-block cars can it 65 octan.

My opinion is do not try ethanol. Ethanol slowly kills the valve cover gasket and can eat the rubber tubes too.
R. Bognar

curly

I'm in a rural area, best I can get is 91 octane. My 59's engine is newly rebuilt w/.040 oversize pistons, yet it seems perfectly happy with the fuel I am using.  Warm weather may be a different story.

T Lewis

David King (kz78hy)

I run premium  pump fuel (91 octane) in my 58 Brougham.  It is the 365 tripower and 10:1 compression.  It is bored 0.030 over.

I have had no issue with it pinging, even pulling the hills in WV going to the Grand National last summer.  Timing is set to factory spec (I think 10 degrees BTC).

Unfortunately, here in the metro Detroit area, alcohol blended fuel is all that is available, unless you buy $8/GL racing fuel.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

linchero

im running 93 octane no ethonal  local station runs good so far   big bucks.

Jason Edge

The owners manual for the 64 Cadillacs recommended 100 Octane RON, or 89 Octane MON method. Today's pump rating in the US is an average between the Ron and Mon methods. Here is a bit of info we keep posted on the 63/64 Cadillac Site on our Help Page:

Note the (R + M)/2 you see on pumps in U.S. This average of the RON & MON ratings is also called the PON rating. In your 1964 Owner Manual on page 36 it indicates to use Minimum of 100 octane RON, or 89 octane MON. If you do the math to get the PON # that comes out to 94.5. So..that means the 93 Octane Premium in the US (PON) and the 99 Premium in the UK (RON) are both just tad lower than the recommended minimum octane for our 10.5 to 1 compression engines. My 64 CDV runs fine on 93 Octane but always dump just a bit of octane booster in and it really seems to make a difference.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

D.Yaros

Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Jeff Wilk

Same here with our 59 Tri-power Fleetwood.....well.....that's when it was on the road 14 months ago now  :'(.......at that time we are running straight out of the pump good ol Northeast ethanol added premium gas at 93 Octain.......no pinging and great acceleration.........can't wait to see how it performs now that the tri-power has been fully rebuilt.......soon.....soon.....soon.....right? :(
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville