News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

glue for 1941 Cad rubber stone guard?

Started by wjhpc, November 17, 2012, 11:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjhpc

My all rubber stone guards on my 1941 convertible coupe are pealing back. I would appreciate hearing the preferred glue to use. also are there any good tips on how to hold in place while the adhesive sets?

thanks,

Jim
Jim Harrison

LeRoy DeVol

Jim, The adhesive you should use is made by "3M" it is black and is designed for rubber seals etc. Install to the seal, let it set until partially dry, then press together. If you have excessive adhesive around the seal, use lacquer thinner for cleanup. When using thinner be quick so as not to damage paint. The "3M" product can be found at most auto parts stores in a tube for about $6.00. If the stone guard is not flexible it may be necessary to hold in place until the adhesive sets up. It only takes about 5 minutes for it to set.

Lee DeVol       

wjhpc

thanks Lee. Heading to Ace now. Is paint thinner the right product to use to get rid of the older, crustey adhesive?
Jim
Jim Harrison

Bill Ingler #7799

Jim:   3M makes a product called General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner that I would use on old dried adhesive. Directions on can says allow the cleaner to soak into the old adhesive which if using lacquer thinner might damage the paint.     Bill

harry s

I used 3M double sided tape to attached the stone guards on my 67 series about 4 years ago and haven't had a problem. I put the tape around all of the outer edges and then across all of the inner area about 1/2" apart. The tape pretty much sets up on contact, but just to be sure I used small plastic clamps around the edges and masking tape where the clamps could not be attached.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Dan LeBlanc

I watched an episode of My Classic Car where a Steele Rubber Representative showed a proper demonstration on how to use the 3M weatherstrip adhesive. The key is to apply a thin film to both pieces, allow to cure for 10-15 minutes and then apply another thin film. Then stick the parts together. It's surprising how quick and strong the bond is when you do it this way.

I tried it myself and they are correct.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

wjhpc

Thanks to all for the input on adhesives. I will tackle this project tomorrow.

Best,

Jim
Jim Harrison