News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1967 Cadillac DeVille transmission dip stick tube anchor

Started by Scot Minesinger, November 18, 2012, 06:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Hi, and thanks in advance for helping me,

Working on the restoration of the climate control on a 1967 Cadillac DeVille and noticed that the trans dip stick tube anchor connected to exhaust manifold to head bolt (last one on passenger side closest to firewall) has failed due to rust and is not connected.  The dip stick tube is supported only by the seal in trans, which of course has resulted in a leak.  Need to fix this, and my question is:

This type of design must have resulted in a 98% failure rate, maybe I'm wrong and used ones are available - please advise.  If this was a very common failure what is the accepted method of remediation?  Do you make a bracket and anchor it to trans to engine bolt like on 472's?, or do you make one out of st st and attempt to remove that bolt on exhaust mainfold?

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scot,m
Typically the only way the dipstick tube support breaks is by lack of care when removing the trans or the engine. Replacements are out there for you.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

All,

The dip stick tube for trans is connected to exhaust mainold which corrodes.  What I'm reading is your saying someone broke it rather than detached it properly (I would hate to remove that bolt for fear it would break).  My chnaces of dinding a good used one might be OK then?, or can we buy one new?

Scot Minesinger

All,

Made my own bracket to connect trans dip stick tube to adjacent trans to engine bolt (bell housing), like in a 1970 and other years.  Talked to several 1967 Cadillac owners and they all said vibration and corrosion eat the thin bracket.  The exhaust mainfold bolt seemed like it might not survive if I tried to remove it, and then we would be into some major issues if it broke.  Problem solved.