News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1975-78 Eldo

Started by Cooke, November 12, 2012, 08:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

I am thinking about buying a low mileage 1975-78 Eldorado coupe, not a convertible. I had a 73 convertable about 20 yrs ago, lots of power, lots of rattles going over big bumps, all in all a good car. Is the 75 to 78 model really strangled by air pollution equipment or is it still a reasonably powerful car? Is any year better than others?
Thanks for any advice,
Martin

I probably should not mention it here but how does the Lincoln MKV compare to the Eldorado??

76eldo

Well, I am biased because i love these cars.  The ride and feel compares to nothing I can think of.

I did email you about a 15,000 mile 77 that is available.  The car is showroom new and runs beautifully.

77 and 78 have the 425 engine which has a great reputation for power and smoothness.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bcroe

The later 425 engine is less powerful, but with a potential for better fuel
economy.  If you get a fuel injected car, there may be additional service
issues.  Bruce Roe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The 500 was only slightly more powerful than the 425- 190 vs 180 bhp which is virtually nil in practice. The 425 may have a slight edge in fuel economy but I doubt that it's significant. I fully agree however, FI is probably best avoided unless one is personally experienced in tending the system.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

joecaristo

I've owned my 77 Eldorado since 1984 and never really had any major issues with it. The 425 engine has plenty of power and the large size lets everyone know your driving a Cadillac!
Joe
Joe Caristo

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

My favorite Eldo grille is the '77.  ;)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

robpp

i own a 76. GM rated the 500CI at 195HP IIRC.

Mine does not have the smog pump on it. thats how i bought it. it does have that huge catalytic converter under there.

assumed mileage is 112,000.

It passed emissions with flying colors in Denver.

I take the toll road to work and the speed limit is 75. We all go 80-85 and the eldo is just chugging along. I have had it up to 100+ in short burts.

It is also not an issue off the line. plenty of go.

If I do mostly highway driving I get 12.5 MPG......if around town more it drops to about 10.

GL>

Rob Powe
CLC 27372
1976 6EL67 Chesterfield Brown/Buckskin