News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cleaning 2003 CTS Headliner

Started by Matt CLC#18621, November 19, 2012, 12:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

How does one go about cleaning the headliner without making it look worse than it already does. Cigarette smoke, etc., little water damage. Light gray.

Thanks,

Matt
CLC# 18621

Gene Beaird

That headliner should be the 'new' style, meaning that instead of a fabric stretched across the underside of the roof with steel rods, it's a foam-based fabric (usually a felt-like material) that's glued onto a cardboard backing.  Touching the fabric on that type of headliner, especially one that's been exposed to cigarette smoke, usually results in the foam backing crumbling and the fabric sagging onto your coif. 

It's best to just replace the thing.  They can be done pretty cheaply, usually less than $100, and they'll usually recover the sun visors and C-pilar panels, if they're the same material.  Most upholstery shops can do this service.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Gene Beaird

Luckily, the only diesel we own is a GMC, and we try to stay away from the exhaust.  We've been lucky that all of the fuel system has stayed sealed up.  Neither my wife, nor I like the smell of diesel, which is kind of funny considering my wife is a master diver.  Nothing will make her sick quicker than standing on the deck of a boat and getting a whiff of the exhaust fumes.

Our 79 is a 350 gas FI car.  It came from a friend who bought it to install a late-model GM LS* engine in, but he found a 76 that was, amazingly, in better shape.  It's one of the cars I've always wanted since they were new.  This one runs very well, but I fear we'll be rebuilding the transmission soon (shudders going into 2nd gear and leaks some).  I've already updated the sway bars and am considering new shocks, if I can get past removing the ride-leveling system. 

Your Son's CTS sounds like a fun project, even if it needs some TLC.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873