News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Crumple Zones

Started by waterzap, November 19, 2012, 04:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

Someone told me the other day that only cars made after 1999 are apparently safe because of crumple zones ?
That cannot be right. I know cars in the 90s had crumple zones. Most likely those in the 80’s also had them.

When did they start implementing them in American cars? Mid 70's?
Leesburg, AL

R Schroeder

I would think that would apply to the cars that don't have a frame. Uni-body type cars.
Otherwise , I think you crumple.
There was a You-tube video that showed a 59 Chevy hitting a modern car head on. The 59 lost.
Roy

Wow, just hit my 1000's posting.
Also showed I spent 12 days on the computer at this site.........ha

Just found the video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

waterzap

The Ford Panther bodies (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis) have frames, but I am sure they also have crumple zones.
Also, looking at how the hood bent on the 76 Eldorado that was in an accident a few weeks ago makes me think they had crumple zones too.
Leesburg, AL

R Schroeder

All cars will crumple. The main thing you want is that the passenger compartment doesn't trap people.
Roy

Dave Shepherd

Full frame cars/trucks also have crumple zones in the front frame rails in particular.  About mid late 90's for most.

TJ Hopland

I thought that was stuff the government started requiring in the late 60's.   Seems like it came about the same time as dual MC's and collapsible steering columns.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dave Shepherd

Quote from: TJ Hopland on November 21, 2012, 05:10:16 PM
I thought that was stuff the government started requiring in the late 60's.   Seems like it came about the same time as dual MC's and collapsible steering columns.
A little research revealed Mercedes got it going in Europe around 67, partial implementation was begun here in the late 70's, full implementation around the introduction of fwd cars in the early 80's ,where most of the sheet metal was involved and the frames on trucks. So it was about 10-12 years before I had stated.

INTMD8

From what I've seen, at least cars from the late 80's on, even with a full frame had designed crumple zones. (could certainly see built in areas in the frame that would collapse ahead of the firewall).

Of course, things get progressively better with time in terms of safety. The tradeoff seems to be looks/design, equaling the un-stylishly high door lines of today.

I plan to do as much as I can to make my '57 as safe as possible, but compared to a car of today? Do your best to not get into a collision and if so, cross your fingers.