News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

?I have a 1940 lasalle, or do I have a 1940 cadillac lasalle?

Started by symplesymonsezzz, November 26, 2012, 04:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

symplesymonsezzz

Hi. I have a 1940 lasalle, it is certified/saftied and registered as unplated. Registration reads, Make-lasa, for lasalle. Insurance company ask's is this a cadillac or is this a Cadillac Lasalle. How doe's one answer this. Wikipedia says it was a General Motor's product, sold as a companion marque of Cadillac. If I had a Chevy and it was a Nova, I would say I have a Chevy/Nova. If I had a Ford and it was a Ranger. I would say I have a Ford/Ranger. ? Do I have a Cadillac/Lasalle, or do I have simply a Lasalle? I hope this dosn't like a stupid ? Thanks for your input.
J Rice

Matt

I believe it is a LaSalle, and then whatever the model number is.
Matthew Taylor
PCS MO Route 66 Chapter President

Don Boshara #594

You have a LaSalle and it should be titled simply as a LaSalle. The name is sometimes spelled La Salle, but not often. They were built by Cadillac with many Cadillac parts from 1927 through 1940 and sold by Cadillac dealers. They used a small bore Cadillac engine except 1934 through 1936 when they used a basic Oldsmobile block assembled by Cadillac. For complete information get Van Gelderen's & Larson's "La Salle Cadillac's Companion Car" from this Club, not cheap, but well worth it.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

quadfins

Give the insurance company an example they can understand - another marque that is no longer in production, like Studebaker, Saturn, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac.

A Pontiac is a Pontiac, a Packard is a Packard, a LaSalle is a LaSalle.

Most folks out there have no idea how many manufacturers there used to be.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

C.R. Patton II

Hello Mr. Rice

As my colleague Jim insisted your sincere curiosity is neither stupid nor ridiculous, but encouraged. This foum was created for  honest inquisitive discussion regarding LaSalles and Cadillacs. We do however quickly hide from the unhappy argumentative grump that would better serve the world usefully by driving off a short pier.

If you have body plate data on your car we could assist further.

Please do not hesitate to ask any question on this forum. Personally I am at your service with the morsel of knowledge that I possess. You can reach me at patton6606email addresses not permitted or 313-804-0276.

I look forward to meeting you and viewing your car at next years Grand National in Boston.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Jim Stamper

As indicated above, your car is a 1940 LaSalle either a Model 50 or 52, for insurance and registration purposes. So, your reference to Chevy, Nova  translates either LaSalle 50 or 52.   

Cadillac used number series too, but they were never the same numbers as LaSalle   Cadillac 60 S, Cadillac 61 and so on.

Jim Stamper, CLC#13470

revgawright

I had the same problem registering my LaSalle in Illinois. The people at the DMV had no clue how to handle it. Sadly, my title reads: 1939 Cadillac 5019A. It's hard to argue with bureaucrats who couldn't care less about serving the public and act as if any interaction with/service to the public is beneath them...
G. A. Wright
Restitutio ad integrum!!!

symplesymonsezzz

Not sure if this is the way to say Thanks to the members for there responces to my ?. I now know I have 1940 Lasalle. Firewall tag reads-Style 40 5019, body 4222, trim 30, paint 9 and body by fisher, detroit mich. Now for some bad news and I hope it will not get me kicked out of your club. The previous owner accquirerd a bucket of rust to work with and did a frame off rebuild. However it has been modified to a point that it would be cost prohibitive to make authentic again. That being said, the appraiser's comments are as follows. Outstanding custom, nice show vehicle, a rare vehicle and in top mechanical condition. Will post pictures when bumpers are rechromed and I find 4 bumperettes Thanks again.
J Rice

C.R. Patton II

Mr. Rice

Here is some data from what you presented.

Body 4222 of 6530 (Probably produced in 1940 Feb/March)
Trim 30 Gray Bedford
Paint 9  Corlear Blue Iridescent

Please post pictures. Thanks
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Guidematic

LaSalle was a registerd brand, and yes it's simply LaSalle with the series number as the model.

I find that it is a common misconception with many cars that get associated wrongly with another brand. Like Chrysler Imperial. Imperial was a separate brand within Chrysler from 1955-1974. All other years it was a subseries of Chrysler. Like Valiant was a separate make in 1960.

In Canada I often hear "Mercury Meteor". Meteor was a brand under the Ford Motor Company of Canada and not a sub series of Merury or Ford. As was Monarch.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

symplesymonsezzz

Merry Christmas. Update, I now have the LaSalle appraised, certified, plated and insured. Just need to bang out a couple of dent's in the front fenders, a little paint, a new headliner to be installed and wait for the nice weather. My thanks to the members, enjoy the holidays, and in the springtime I may see you on the road.
J Rice