News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Jay Leno's 1918 Cadillac

Started by Jeff Hansen, November 26, 2012, 09:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Hansen

Jay Leno has purchased a (supposedly) almost totally original 1918 Cadillac.  See this video and photos on his website:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/chevrolet/1918-cadillac-type-57-victoria/index.shtml#item=266628

Sorry if anyone posted this already.  I took a quick look through the topics and didn't see it.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

R Schroeder

All I can say is , WOW. That is amazing that the car is in that condition.
Beautiful.

TJ Hopland

I like the part of the owners manual he reads where they say 95% of the problems are 'your fault'.    It would be interesting to research that and find out when they quit saying that. 

I like the flip up window frames.   Was that a common feature?   I imagine this was to get a better seal?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Guidematic

I found that quite humourous as well. You were responsible for any outcome that may result.

It is amazing how easy he finds driving that car too, and how well it does drive. That has to ne a testement to the engineering and quality ot these Leland era Cadillacs.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

TJ Hopland

Ya especially coming from a guy like Jay that has and drives a lot of other cars.    Sure anyone comparing a model T to a Cadillac should be impressed but when you compare it to things like the Duesenburgs and others cars of that class he has in his collection its saying something. 

I did not notice in that video does that car have the 'conventional' control layout?   If not when did that come out?   Seems like I read somewhere that Cadillac was the first one to come up with the clutch, brake, gas and shifter in the middle layout. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Richard Sills - CLC #936

At a recent car show in Delaware, I saw another very original 1918 Cadillac.  The owner pointed out that the ducks (or "merlettes") in the Cadillac crest on the radiator are white, rather than black.  He said the ducks in the Cadillac crest were white in only two years -- 1918 and 1919 -- they were black in all years before that, and all years since.  This is an interesting bit of Cadillac trivia that I had never heard before -- i wonder what the reason was.

TJ Hopland

What was the deal with those green headlights he said were added?   Was that purely artistic or is it like the current fad of the blue lights and people thought the green was better?   Was that a common thing to do to headlights?  Was that a 20's thing or did that happen much later?

I am also bummed he did not get to the air compressor thing he mentioned at the beginning of the video.  That sounded neat and likely useful with the road and tire quality at the time.  Did Cadillac offer that as an option many years?  Did other makers?   Was that a popular aftermarket thing you could have got for your car?   I presume the 'common folk' would have had to have a hand operated 'bicycle' pump?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Guidematic

As far as I know the air compressor was a standard item on Cadillacs (and most of if not all other high end cars) even into the 30's when it was still common to have to do roadside tire repairs. Certainly it was a major convenience.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Chris Conklin

What an amazing car to own!

I think Mr. Leno is pretty comfortable driving almost anything. We see him around town quite often and at a lot of the local car shows. He's very approachable and great to talk with. I don't think I've seen him in any car more recent than a '30s era vehicle.
Chris Conklin

Jay Friedman

Great car and great presentation by Jay L. 

I remember at the 1998 Grand National, Long Island, NY, there was a similar coupe in almost as nice condition.  It was a 1920--I think it was called a Type 59--and had the same fat man's steering wheel and jump seat.  The car was owned by an older lady who lived in Sag Harbor, at the eastern end of Long Island, who told me she drove it the 50 miles or so to the GN site and that she used it regularly. 

As she was getting on in years and had health problems she offered it for sale at the GN for $20,000.  I was sorely tempted until a professional restorer friend, who works on cars of that era, told me that it while the price was right, it would be much more expensive to own than my '49, since parts are rare and working on anything related to the motor far more complicated.  Have often wonder since what happened to it. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

as to the converntional layout:

I did not notice in that video does that car have the 'conventional' control layout?   If not when did that come out?   Seems like I read somewhere that Cadillac was the first one to come up with the clutch, brake, gas and shifter in the middle layout. 

Cadillac introduced in 1916.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

veesixteen

White swans replaced the traditional black merlettes on type 53, 55 and 57 Cadillacs of 1916 through 1919; the reason for the change is given in the magazine Antique Automobile for November-December, 1993. The writer, Mr. Ed Jacobowicz of Connecticut, explains that this was a gesture of gratitude towards a Mr. Albert C. Swan, formerly co-owner of Smith & Swan, a company that had given Cadillac precious help following the disastrous plant fire of April 1904 when it had not been possible for Cadillac to build any cars for some three months. The firm reverted to the black merlettes in 1920.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Bill Podany #19567

Jeff,

That video was fantastic; I have played it three times.  I have been privileged to be a guest of Jay Leno's and tour his museum of cars.  The value of his assets in this regard perhaps is indeterminable.  He was a great host, and what a collection of Americana. 

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado