News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle Engine Paint and Color

Started by csearider, December 02, 2012, 11:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csearider

What was the factory engine color of a 1940 LaSalle 322? I believe Cadillac was Cadillac green ..was LaSalle the same and where to get heat paint to do the job.

Also:
1. any tips on cleaning and painting engine compartment without total removal of wiring harness?

2. Was original engine compartment color black and tips on painting....use Rustoleum? ..or is there a special paint?

csearider

P.S......I do not think that Rustoleum would be correct to be true to authenticity as when cleaning the engine compartment the firewall and at least the upper part of inside fender sides appear to be same color as the vehicle. It is NOT black and is kind of a deep deep blue..... I know this vehicle has not been repainted as i know family of original owner (Sheriff Joliet county 1940). However, written in hand on the original title the vehicle color is written "Emerald Green"......................anyone know about any of the above?

buicksplus

The original inner fenders and firewall paint on my 1940 LaSalle was body color.  The frame and radiator assembly was chassis black.    Chassis black is a medium gloss cheap black paint that was applied at the factory with no primer.  Rustoleum is probably fine though I think it has a higher gloss than chassis black. 

There should be a body tag on the driver's side firewall with the code for the original paint color.  Let us know what the number is, I think I can convert it to a paint color.  For example, mine is paint number 6, which is Long Key green.

One trick for masking wiring and odds and ends in the engine compartment is to wrap them with aluminum foil.  It's cheap, available, and easier to wrap around odd shaped things like wiring, linkages.  Masking tape is much harder to apply and remove.   I also find using a brush in hard to reach spots looks fine and provides better coverage than sprays.  These new spray degreasers (like Oil Eater or ??) that wash off with water are amazingly effective in removing grease and oil from your engine compartment prior to painting.

Good luck!
Bill.
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

Paul Phillips

A great source for Cadillac LaSalle green is Bill Hirsch. This is faily forgiving for cast parts but a bit more fussy for steel parts. Be sure to follow the instructions for steel parts, including priming, thin coat, and wait period for recoating. I ended up getting my local PPG rep to color match this in single sage for easier use on steel parts ( pulleys, covers, etc) and it is also better or touch up

You may want to find an Authenticity Manual to sort out the details for restoration colors. Some items are body color, some chassis black, some cad plated, some gloss black, and some was left bare. 

The Raritan River Region has a great color database at http://www.rrrclc.org/color_databases/1940-Codes-Rev3.xls. With the codes on your data plate, you can confirm the correct paint and interior finishes.

Good luck!

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

csearider

Thanks Bill.........The firewall tag states Color #3

Paul Phillips

Paint code 3 is Cavern Green. This is a fairly dark green based on the scanned color charts I have seen. Paint codes in the day were 246-53364 for DuPont and 40075 for PPG. An old time tint base formula and a color chip may be found at http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1940&manuf=GM&page=4

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

csearider