News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

78 Eldoirado steering wheel diassebbly ??

Started by xcaret, December 05, 2012, 09:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcaret

I am following my dealers shop manual to replace the signalite /cruise lever , so far I have removed the wheel ,rubber bumper ( that had no retaining clamp to be cut off) and now I am looking at the plastic retainer ( it has 5 big tabs around the edge and is orangeish in color I pushed the little brass colored tabs back , then I'm suposed to remove it ,but nothing moves .. Next it says to get a spring compressor to remove upper steering shaft preload spring , do I really have to do this?? My goal is to replace the broken sig/cruise lever ,I never use the cruise option and dont need to connect the wires for the cruise .
Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks , Neil 

xcaret

I better add that the orange plastic retainer sits on top of a yellow plastic thing that is also on top of the lock plate. The dealer exploded view only shows the orange one ???
Neil

joecaristo

I replaced my key ignition on my 79 DeVille. Using the lock plate compressor made the job easier to get to everything in the steering column.
Joe
Joe Caristo

76eldo

That spring is under a LOT of tension.  Joe helped me change the ignition cylinder on an 85 Seville and we used the tool.  It looks like a big upside down U and bolts to the center threads on the column, then pushes down on the collar and depresses the spring enough to remove a horse shoe type clip.  DO NOT try to do this without the tool.  You will be missing a piece of a finger and maybe some teeth.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

xcaret

Thanks guys , How did you get the plastic retainer ( orange thing) to slide off the steering shaft? As my first post mentioned mine doesn't want to move despite the little tabs being pried out of the way ? 
I'm wondering if mine has been jerry rigged somehow because the maual only shows one retaining thing and this has two,also my rubber thing didn't have a cl;amp around it that would indicate its been put back wrong ..

76eldo

Not really sure without looking at pics or the shop manual.

It's really important to have the manual to rely on for details.

I use my phone to take pics as I take stuff apart too.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

xcaret

I have the shop manual for edos 1977and 1978 ,the 78 is as thick and called a supplement , but does not show both of the plastic pieces I'm wondering about. I also found that the manuals dont show how to remove the upper door panel on my 78 eldo ,I learned how on this site tonight and am happy as can be now.. if only I could remove the lockplate in the same car ..

xcaret

I can take photos of this steering colum but where can I post them so they can be seen?

Neil

xcaret

Reading the manual again, I need to  remove the plastic retainer using a small screwdriver to disengage the tabs on the retainer from the c-ring. The plastic retainer is the orange thing I was talking about . The white plastic thing under it will be the carrier assembly ( under the lock plate ) Fig 3B-103 in 77 eldo service Manual. I see what they mean but don't see how to do it , but tomorrow I'll have another look.

Michael J. Cascio

The above mentioned orange plastic retainer with five tabs was originally white.  It is so dryed out from the heat & time that it turns orange.  This will with great probability break into a million pieces when pryed.  Find a donor column and disassemble,  GM used the same retainer from 1969 until 1992 on T & T steering columns.  Carefully remove with two small screwdrivers/picks and pry off.  Then install spring compressor,  don't forget with T & T columns you need an allen set screw that fits into the shaft to keep it it place so it doesn't telescope.  If the spring compressor does not come with a allen set screw one can be made by matching up a allen screw with the threads from the part that normally screws into the shaft (w/lever through steering wheel). If the allen screw is too big grind down the head until it fits in the shaft. 

Good Luck,
-Mike

xcaret

Thanks Michael, Do I pry the little brass colored things back ? I did that and the retainer just sits there. It looks like part of it fits under the c clip mentioned in the repair manual.( I have the dealers repair for 77 and supplement for 78.but it doesnt go into detail about where to stick the screw drivers . I wish I could attach a photo to this post. Any way I'm going to have another look tomorrow. Theres an autowrechers down the road from me that lets customers take the parts off themselves so I can always go down there and remove one from a T&t colum,like you said ,thanks.
Neil

Guidematic

You can also make one of retainers by cutting the head off a 5/16" bolt, and screwing it in tight with a pair of vice grips.

You need that plastic insulator because it insulates the telescopic spring from the horn circuit. Without it the horn will sound. So be very careful in removing it, or find a good one. I don't think GM sells them anymore.

However if it does break, and you can't find a good one, you can insulate the base of the spring with some heat shrink tubing. I had to do this when I replaced the ignition tumbler rack on my '88 Eldorado a couple of years back.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

xcaret

Thanks guidematic , I'll just bust that plastic thing out of there and now that I know its just the insulator for the horn No big deal..
Now a question about the lockplate spring compressor, Ive taken loads of gm coloms apart usually by removing the nut to the end of the tread and  pressing my knees upwards on the steering wheel and whacking the shaft with a masonry hammer, the wheel pops off. , then with a pointed awl pop the c-ring of from around the shaft that holds the lock plate in place and presto theres the sig ass. . A bit of spring pressure but nothing to worry about . I also am able to press the lock plate on even with the pressure from the spring .. BUT never on one with T& T
Is there that much difference in the spring pressure ?
Neil

TJ Hopland

I don't remember any spring that has to do with the tilt or telescope.  Only nasty spring is the lock ring one which I don't think would be any different.

I did it one time without the tools and ended up bleeding and hitting the wrong things with the hammer.  Ended up buying the tools.  At the time I think I spent around $60.   Now you can get a 'imported' set for about $15 that works fine. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

They make the tool for a reason and its not expensive.
If you pop it off without  damage or injury you are lucky.

Forcing it back on and getting the clip in will be impossible.

I'm basing this on working on an 85 which may be different.

On a tilt tele column, or any column, once you get to the point where you are taking off that collar to go deep into the column, you need to compress the heavy spring to remove the lock plate.

Good luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeff Wilk

Who sells this tool?  Is there a model or part number for it?  I will be needing one soon. Appreciate the help
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

76eldo

Here's what one version looks like:

I just googled " steering column tool" and a bunch of stuff came up.

One part screws into the center threads on the column, then you tighten the nut which pushes down the U shaped part and it pushes down the lock plate.  Once you get it down past the retaining clip, you remove the clip and release the tension slowly and it all comes up with the pressure of the spring.

I really don't think it's possible or practical to try and push it down without this tool.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeff Wilk

Thanks Brian. That makes it clear. I think i had one of these ago but it must have grown feet and walked off.

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

xcaret

Yep the tool is what I need . I broke out the plastic retainer thing and can see clearly the retaining clip its thicker than a quarter (coin)and you cant compress the plate its holding in place. the non telescopoic ones were way different. I can see where this thing could cause serious damage to someone . Tomorrow maybe I'll see if I can build a tool. All this just to replace the sig lever ..
Neil

xcaret

Michael J. Cascio , you mebtioned the allen screw that goes into the shaft so it doesnt telescope .
I don't see where the allen set screw goes .. Did you mean you put your allen screw on the allen key and insert it into the housing of the steering colom? ( I  shudder )  .