News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How much interchangabilty DeVille and Eldorado?

Started by fasted55, December 09, 2012, 08:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasted55

I have a 1979 LeCabriolet and as I search for parts I wondered how many are interchangeable between the same year DeVille and Eldorado?  A few examples; the coolant overflow bottle?, the winshield washer fluid bottle?, the heater core?, even the climate control?, all appear to be the same.  I would imagine GM shared many of the parts?  Thanks, Ed

TJ Hopland

For 79 the Eldorado was a much smaller than past years all new body.   Because of that I would think many of the items you mention may be different. You never know tho by that time they certainly would have compromised the design to save themselves 3 cents so who knows.  The heater core is installed from the inside the car on those where I think it was still outside on the RWD cars.  Climate control may be the same because I believe 79 was the only year the Eldo had the mechanical control.  80 they went digital so you would not think they came up with a 1 year 1 model system.   76-79 Seville also had a lot of unique to itself items.  80 the Seville was the same body as Eldo.   77-80's the rest of the cars were very similar.  The Brougham was the same till 93 ish.

I checked my pictures and don't seem to have an overall good underhood shot of my 80 and we got a decent snowfall going right now so I don't really want to go out and brush off the snow for a pic.  I will try and watch the thread and if you don't get any answers I can go take some photos underhood so at least you can compare the locations and guess. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Michael J. Cascio

I can almost guarantee that all of the mentioned items will be different.  Different platforms.  Different family engines, etc.  items may look the same to the naked eye (ex. climate control face) but its mounting holes will be different.  You may be able to salvage parts from it though.  Washer & coolant bottles will most definitely be different.
-Mike

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed with Michael. I believe very little compatibility exists between an Eldo/DeVille for the year stated and for most the parts you've listed. Possibility for the CC unit- just possibly.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute