News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 SDV

Started by bluebelle, December 09, 2012, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebelle

Hello, all. I just got a 1956 sixty special. Little bit of work, but very restoreable. I will probably be needing some advice down the road and I am hoping some of you folks would be able to help out. I will try to post a pic of her, but I grew up with an abacus, so wish me luck on that.

Bluebelle
1956 Cadillac sedan deville
1954 Pontiac chieftain
1978 Chrysler new yorker brougham

quadfins

Hi Rick,
   Welcome to the world of Cadillacs, and to this forum.
   Ask away - there will be someone to answer just about any question you have.

Your friend in fins,

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

okccadman

Welcome!  That is a Sedan de Ville not a Fleetwood Sixty Special
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Walter Youshock

I was just going to say the same thing.  1956 was the first SDV.  Always been one of my dream cars.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

bluebelle

Thanks for the tip, Jim, but it was sold as a sixty special. Since your post I've tried to find on the internet, and I can't tell the differences. What should I be looking for?

Rick
1954 Pontiac chieftain

M. Bankes

In '56 the Fleetwood's have a post in the side windows, that's the easiest way to tell for me anyway. Your car has no posts, it's a Sedan de Ville, not a Fleetwood,
Mike Bankes

J. Gomez

Rick,

One way to validate is to get the numbers from body tag, what yours shows?
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Walter Youshock

No doubt it's a Sedan de Ville.  Cadillac's first hardtop sedan.  The Sixty Special had pillared door glass, a rear quarter window between the rear doors and back window; "FLEETWOOD" lettering on the trunk; "SIXTY SPECIAL" script on the front fenders and a 3" longer wheelbase than the 62 series.  It also had a stainless covering on the lower rear quarter bulge leading to the exhaust ports, as well as a totally different interior trim.

Your body tag on the cowl should start as 5662XXXXXX.  A 60S would be: 5660XXXXXX.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Gene Beaird

Either way, she's a 'beut!  That should be a fine riding machine once you get the running gear up to snuff. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Barry M Wheeler #2189

When I had my 1956 60S, back in the days when it was still considered a "driver", I was able to find a NOS rear fender spear. I always thought that it would make a great murder weapon. Wonder how far through one's body you could get it?  Do the deed, and then install it on the car to "hide" it. (Sometimes when you're retired, you have way, way too much time on your hands...)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

bluebelle

Hi, all. Thanks for the interest. It IS a cdv sixty series. About a 10k drop in value, but a nice car none the less. I know most of you fellers are american so I'd like to know if there are any places that still sell OEM body parts down there. Mechanically I'm good with my suppliers here, but I will need both front floor pans and tail light assembly... some badging etc etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Other than the floor pans she is pretty much cancer free, and she does spin, so that's half the battle

Thanks all

Rick
1954 Pontiac chieftain

Quentin Hall

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on December 10, 2012, 04:55:41 PM
When I had my 1956 60S, back in the days when it was still considered a "driver", I was able to find a NOS rear fender spear. I always thought that it would make a great murder weapon. Wonder how far through one's body you could get it?  Do the deed, and then install it on the car to "hide" it. (Sometimes when you're retired, you have way, way too much time on your hands...)
Barry,
      Time on your hands is one thing . . . . blood on your hands is another . Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Eldovert

Oh come on Quentin..who amoung us hasn't fantisized about dispatching someone with a well placed thrust from a sixty special rear fender spear !
Solve that CSI !
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

bluebelle

So here goes. I have the vin #s for this car  5662069947 model #56-6237. Can anybody help and decode this for me.

Thanks

Rick
1954 Pontiac chieftain

J. Gomez

Rick,

The 56-6237 translates to 56 â€" 1956, 6237 Series 62, 37 Coupe w/o power windows. Your serial number 5662069947 translates to 56 â€" 1956, 62 Series 62, 069947 the order the car was completed in production.

Hope this helps..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

bluebelle

1954 Pontiac chieftain

Caddy_56

Nice car.

A you sure it is not 6239? I thought the 6237 was a 2-doors model and the 6239 a 4-door.
An X after the numbers was for power windows, which should have been standard on a Sedan DeVille

bluebelle

The vin tag shows 6237. It does have an x and it does have everything power including windows and seat. But, alas, no ac.

Rick
1954 Pontiac chieftain

Caddy_56

Only a X, or DX? Still don't understand the 6237 ;-)
Your accessory options should also be listed there and your paint and trim code.

Erik

Davidinhartford

Nice!  Congratulations!

The hardtop four door roof line is far more attractive than the "posted" Fleetwoods.   And since 56 was the debut year of the four door hardtop Sedan Deville I feel it is a significant find.

Again, congratulations!   

~ Dave