News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1997 Northstar

Started by Matt 12861, December 11, 2012, 11:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt 12861

My daily driver '97 De ville has 137000 miles on it.  About two years ago I had the head gaskets replaced and new longer studs put in.  The oil light just started flashing intermittently a couple months ago, so fast you might not catch it.  It only happens when the engine warms up and is idling.  It never stays on for more than a second.  I finally put in some STP and it quit flashing for about a week and started again.  I made the investment on the new head bolts hoping I could get five more years out of it.  Does it sound like an expensive fix?  Bad bearings?  I didn't look for any recent posts about oil additives for newer cars, but I noticed there are a lot more to choose from than STP, some are kind of expensive.  Any suggestions to keep it on the road at least one more winter?
Thanks, Matt
Matt Givler #12861

Dave Shepherd

Only real way to tell what is happening here is to pull the oil pressure sensor and attach a mechanical gage and get a direct oil pressure reading, then post back for more advice.