News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

repairing lacquer paint

Started by 76eldo, December 15, 2012, 08:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

Is it possible to make spot repairs on a 1970's Cadillac painted in lacquer?

Can body shops still get acrylic lacquer?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Brian,

Conventional wisdom says lacquer is no longer available. But in the last two weeks I found 2 sources. Send me a PM with your direct e-mail.  How well the finished, blended area looks depends on a number of factors. If the original paint is faded to any degree, the new paint should be tweaked for the color change. This will require a painted piece off the of the car, or the car itself, being brought to the paint supplier. If the color contains a great deal of metal flake, the painter’s technique â€" application rate and paint volume - can affect the finished color. An experienced painter will know this and test a scrap piece before applying it to the car. If done correctly the repair should be imperceptible.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

These days a lot of guys don't seem to want to be bothered with lacquer. Most paint shops no longer have the systems needed to tint lacquer as proficiently as they can with BC/CC.

I once had a yellow '77 CdV that needed the lower door refinished. At my insistence they did it in lacquer and after two failed attempts, we finally did it in BC/CC and the results were astonishing- a perfect match. YMMV.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute