News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"Shasta", my '49 Club Coupe

Started by Thomas Bredahl, December 15, 2012, 09:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby 4194

I've met Tom twice now while he was in calif and besides being a great guy, he does superb work on his cars/motorcycles and everything else he touches.

Great job Buddy :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Thomas Bredahl

Thank you Jeff, it sure has been great meeting up with you on the two occasions.
Who won, I wonder :D
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

So, this was never meant to be a "forever" project but life has its own way now and again, I guess :-)

Time flies when you're having fun and besides my 49, I also have a '32 Ford Tudor hot rod and an old flathead Harley. They have kept me busy on the roads, thus postponing finishing the Caddy.

This time around it seems doable though!!
I have just finished painting the underside of the body and preparations are going on, finishing the last things on the chassis.
This coming weekend I should be able to lower the body onto the chassis, making them a unit again for the first time in 8 years!

These are the photos to prove it :-)
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

More photos....
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

Well, it finally made it onto the chassis  :D

I am since that into straightening the front tin and getting the front clip ready for installation.

Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

tozerco

Just read your first post again:

"This will be a chassis restoration only, so the body will be put aside, as is, for later reassembly..."

Yeah, Right!

Glad to see I'm not the only one with that disease!
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Thomas Bredahl

Some more pics....
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

More pics....
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

Quote from: tozerco on March 13, 2019, 12:01:05 AM
Just read your first post again:

"This will be a chassis restoration only, so the body will be put aside, as is, for later reassembly..."

Yeah, Right!

Glad to see I'm not the only one with that disease!

Haha, yeah I guess it went a little further than that :-D

Not too far though, as I always intended to do something about the underside of the body. I hope that, once the car is put together, it will look untouched but drive a whole lot better, as a Cadillac should.
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

Like always , this restoration has taken much longer than need be :-)
It was only meant to be off the road a couple year or three, but ended being 11 years.

She has been patiently waiting for my time and effort, but the other day I could finally reward her with the first run of a decade.
Lots need to be adjusted and done still, but she has never been closer to being back in use.
Feels good!

Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

The Tassie Devil(le)

Definitely a lot classier than any of the newer cars parked around it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Poncholover

So get that Bad Boy on a Chassis Dyno & let us know what it pulls!
Flattie Caddy

Thomas Bredahl

I think I'll stick to the Rolls Royce reply - "enough" 😁😁😁
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Macabry

Beautiful, I know the term "patina" is much overused but that is gorgeous patina ... love it
1952 Series 62 Coupe de Ville
1988 Citroen 2cv Special

Thomas Bredahl

Quote from: Macabry on July 06, 2021, 04:40:39 PM
Beautiful, I know the term "patina" is much overused but that is gorgeous patina ... love it

Thank you, I love it too. In fact, when searching for a 6207, this was the hope that I would find.
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Sloriter

Thomas Bredahl

Well, as always, I got sidetracked by many other projects going on  :D
Still, 2021 was the year that Shasta finally got rolling on her own four wheels again. Having the last of the assembly done and passing her through inspection, right before the summer holidays, I got to enjoy the fantastic difference in ride quality between now and 10 years ago, when I last drove her.

Naturally, no good deed goes unpunished, so I need to swap the rear main seal for another, as the dripping is excessive.
That won't put me off though and now that 2022 has come around, I will see to it that my old 49 and I get to enjoy a full season of Cadillac cruising.

Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

dogbergs

You've done a fantastic job, and leaving that untouched exterior should have you awarded.
But thinking about it, should be illegal to mess with it. This is 10/10 in my world.

/ Johan
-51 62 convertible, project
-64 Dodge Polara
-70 Volvo 121
-63 Plymouth Max Wedge clone, project
-42 Harley WLA
-33 Ford Pick up, project

Thomas Bredahl

Quote from: dogbergs on January 26, 2022, 01:13:21 AM
You've done a fantastic job, and leaving that untouched exterior should have you awarded.
But thinking about it, should be illegal to mess with it. This is 10/10 in my world.

/ Johan

Thank you for the kind words. I initially bought this particular car with the intention of preserving its weathered look. Not to make it into a ratty looking car but try not to disturb a patina that can only depict decades of use and history.
Much the same way that you would never drag grandma to the plastic surgeon, to take away her kind grandma looks
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark