News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Stumbled on a big discount at Eastwood for 12-20

Started by mgbeda, December 20, 2012, 03:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

Hi.  First of all I am not spamming, and I have no connection with Eastwood.  In fact this is the first time I bought from them.  But I wanted to buy a couple cans of their "Internal Frame Coating" for Bessie.  But I couldn't get the website to work, so I called them (1.800.343.9353).  To my happy surprise they said they had a "phone special" today for half off this stuff!  It's usually $19.99 (or close) and I got it for $9.99.  I think they said the black rust encapsulater was also half off.  Anyhow I just had to share this with people that might be able to use it.  I've never been so glad the computer wouldn't work.  I guess in general it's a good idea to call them if you are ordering something; you never know.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Tomoldcars

It’s the wrong car for this forum, but I was looking at my 53 Packard ambulance today wondering where to start. It was wrecked sometime in 84 and, before I got it, the front clip was removed. It’s been sitting exposed for maybe 20 years.  I have all the sheet metal and mechanical pieces. There is no frame damage and the engine runs nicely. Two weeks should have a reliable driver. Now the dilemma; All those nice, exposed pieces can be cleaned and painted and the engine painted and detailed, but where dose it stop? Do I paint to the firewall or lift the body and paint the rest of the frame? The Internal Frame Coating and Black Rust Encapsulater you refer to might be the answer. How much prep work is needed on the metal before painting, also what is the coverage per can and what colors are available? If I can do a presentable job without major work I’ll clean up what I can see and leave the detailing to someone else. If anyone has used these and the results were acceptable, I’ll order a bunch. This will extend a two week project into two months, but the other alternative would be two years.

Thanks Tom

mgbeda

`Hi Tom,

Sorry I didn't notice your reply until now.

Eastwood says this about the coverage for the internal frame coasting stuff:

"Two 14-oz. aerosol cans are required for a subframe vehicle, 3 cans for a full-frame vehicle or truck."

I wrote them an email asking about how clean the inside of the frame has to be.  They just wrote back "Hit it with a degreaser".  Gee, I never thought of that.

I haven't started painting yet, and am now welding a patch on a rusted spot I found, so it may be a while.  But I will let you know how it turns out once I do it.

By the way, I found a neat blog about somebody with a 64 Impala doing exactly the same job (cleaning and coating the inside of the frame while it's on the car).

http://www.impalas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3896

He says he needed 3.5 cans to do his car.

As you said, it's about the only thing you can do it you want to coat the frame inside and out without taking the bare frame somewhere.  Sometimes that still sounds like a better idea, but I can't figure how I'd get what I guess is a 1,000 pound frame out of my back yard.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)