News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

I'm stumped--what's this?

Started by Brorag, December 20, 2012, 10:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brorag

(attached) appears to be old fashioned ceramic 20 amp 220 volt receptacle--what's its purpose?
J Dellinger

The Tassie Devil(le)

Definitely aftermarket, well, actually, ex housing.

I am thinking that someone wanted to install a trouble light, and only had household fittings to work with.

Check to see what voltage is at the terminals with a multimeter.   Test on the high scale first, so you don't blow the meter up.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Classic

Maybe it's an easier way to connect a battery charger, as batteries from that vintage car were not always the easiest to get to.  On my '37 Cadillac (battery under drivers seat), I have the ring terminal cables that came with my Battery Tender connected to my battery terminals so all I have to do is plug in the cable from the Battery Tender.  It makes it easy to connect my Battery Tender.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

TJ Hopland

That is sort of what I was thinking that it likely was a power connection that a previous owner put on.  They just used connectors that were easy to source at the time.   It may have been for something like a charger or perhaps some sort of accessory that maybe the owner moved between cars?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

buicksplus

Hey, your car's a hybrid and that's a plug for the electric motor that's hidden inside!

How about that odd light next to it?  Looks like a trouble light on a retractable cord like Pontiacs had in their engine comparments for years. 
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

Guidematic

Follow that wire and see where it goes to.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Martin Michaels

I'll take a W.A.G. at it. Previous owner lived in the mountains, It's a plug in  block heater.
Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

The Tassie Devil(le)

I doubt if it was for plugging the mains power into as there would ve a safety issue with a live plug on the end of an extension cord.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Brorag

the other ends of the plug go ground and the starter. Since the starter is connected directly to the battery, it could be used as:
--charging point for battery
--extra juice for cold starts

jepstr67

OBD2 port?  ;D  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

It looks like a 220v AC plug, but like the rest of you assume, I'd say a booster battery contact point.

Todd
1970 DeVille rag top.