News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

sabre wheel restoration

Started by Scott Robinson, December 25, 2012, 09:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Robinson

Hi,I have a set of gold sabres I need to restore and wonderd if there is a "kit" for replacing the rivets(I am guessing I need to dismantle them)
A wheel guy over here said he could drill and Tap them then fit high tensile studs instead of rivets,does anyone know if this is the only option

thanks Scott
1956 biarritz
1957 coupe deville
CLC member south Australia

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

That's a job best left to a professional.  The wheel must be taken apart to replate it.

However, upon reassembly it has to be "trued" and rebalanced to insure safety.  Only
a specialized shop would have that equipment.  Also, I would not substitute just any
type of rivet or fastnener for this job.

The best in the country is Valley Wire Wheel in CA.  Call and ask for Mike.

Valley Wire Wheel Service
14731 Lull St
Van Nuys, CA 91405
(818) 785-7237

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

57CaddyBiarritz

Scott,

I'd agree with Mike that this is best left to a professional.  I just had the set on my 57 Biarritz done by King of Trim in California.  Very happy with the results.

John

Bill Podany #19567

Scott,

Follow Mike Josephic's advise on Valley Wire Wheel Service; they are the best in the country for Cadillac Sabre Wheels.  They restored the wheels on my 55 Eldorado back in 2007 when my car was restored completely after an engine fire.  It is time consuming, and costly, but those wheels are like jewels today.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Scott Robinson

thanks Guys,
the place I took them to is a professional wheel and rim shop and they said the studs they would use would be the same as they use on drag cars
as I am in Australia no one really does them here and I would like to have them 100% original I thought there must be someone who sells the rivets and I could supply them to the shop
I will contact valley wire wheels and see what they say

cheers from Aus,Scott
1956 biarritz
1957 coupe deville
CLC member south Australia