News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Is that an original part? 57 Fleetwood

Started by Renato, December 28, 2012, 11:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renato

Good day Sirs,

Today I start a little work on my car. I discover a strange part which was not on my 57 De Ville. It's connected with the carburator. What is this? I made a picture from my carburator, but I think it is a stock part. I made a red circle on the picture where it is connected. As you can see it needs electric power. Seems to be an old thing.
R. Bognar

David King (kz78hy)

That appears to be a an electric fuel pump.  It is not original.  Tank side hose/pipe is not connected.

That is my guess as to what it is.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Walter Youshock

I'm with David on the electric pump idea.  That looks like a DELCO motor housing very similar to the power antenna motor.  Can you make out any of the markings on the motor casing? 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Renato

Thank you for the answers. I had AC pump as well in place. I will remove this electric pump. Carburator is a factory part am I right?
R. Bognar

Walter Youshock

It looks like the correct Rochester but that choke is incorrect.  It looks like someone put a manual choke on it.  Can you control the choke from inside the car?  Is there a lever or separate button for the choke on the dash?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Renato

Yes there's a not factory control arm. I think we find the function of that.  Thanks :)
R. Bognar

Renato

R. Bognar

Walter Youshock

They all had automatic chokes that are spring actuated.  The '57 and '58's had a different than usual setup with a "modifier" lever that was supposed to allow the car to be started and driven without a warmup period for the choke to fully open.

If you don't already have a copy of the Shop Manual, I STRONGLY urge you to get one and read it over.  I've had my car 20 years and still refer to it at least once a month.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Renato

I had a shop manual, but not so good. I need more pictures and less text :) English is not my native language.
R. Bognar

Renato

Which year of Cadillac carburetor automatic choke system fit to my 57? I know the 58 has the same. I need only the choke section not more. Maybe my friend has a original carb from a 56
R. Bognar

Walter Youshock

'57 and '58 used that "unloaded" choke modifier.  Most of them were eliminated as they never worked properly.  Chances are, your carburetor is in need of a full rebuild due to its age and unknown condition. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Renato

Sorry, but I do not understand what does it mean "unloaded" choke. I want to restore it to factory condition. I thought they used the same choke system in widder year range.

So I need to buy a bad 57 or 58 carburetor to get this part....damnit
R. Bognar

Walter Youshock

Yes:  1957 and 1958 Cadillac and 1958 Oldsmobile used the strange choke system.  I really wouldn't worry about it until you get that carburetor rebuilt.  Whoever does the rebuild for you will also fix the choke.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Renato

Great thanks. :) 50's US cars in "rare" category in my country
R. Bognar