News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Newbie here...........need help with my 55 Coupe

Started by Harold Noell, CLC 15821, December 29, 2012, 04:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Noell, CLC 15821

Hello folks:Newbie here. In process of building my car. Do not desire a trailer queen as I want to drive and enjoy the car on road trips. Here are the numbers. ST 55-62370D (or O) X, Body FW12438, Trim 51, Paint 10, ACC P-H-K-Y. Need translation as I want to keep the interior and exterior original in appearance. I have been debating using the original engine and transmission or going with a 500. While the car is complete (but now in pieces) I do not know from a value standpoint if I am crazy to go without original engine. I imagine a 500 would be fun. If I stick with the 331 I would like to add some HP as the car was fairly slow in my book. What affordable options are there keeping the engine original in appearance but with a noticeable gain in HP and "cruisability". Is the dual quads with a batwing option really worth the big expense when it comes to performance and value? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Eldovert

Harold,
Dual quads wont make that much difference to the performance.Did the 331 run well before ?
Just wondering if you had fair assessment of the power.
If you are set on putting a 500 in try to do it so that the car can be returned to stock at a later date...doing things such as putting a remote oil filter instead of hacking a hole in the front crossmember for the stock oil filter location. Don't forget if you are adding "go" you are going to need more "whoa" unless you drive in a sedate manner.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

76eldo

The 500 is far from a bolt-in.  You should check out the modified chapter.  If eventual resale is a factor in your decision you should keep it stock, unless you go totally over the top custom.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Philippe M. Ruel

My 1952's full stock 331 could bring it to 110 mph and make rear 235/75 tire squeak upon start. A more powerful 1955 331 at 230 hp or so should bring your car to a good 120.

See it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaRM1ARvOuo

Its stock 4-drum brakes were efficient too, but far less than modern brakes - say, the ones on which the driver of that plastic 4-wheel object jumped on at 75 mph right in front of me. The plastic thing went straight to a recycling process, and the Cad has been stopped since then with severe damage to front end, steering and suspension - fortunately nothing to the driver and passenger who had no safety belt.

Does this '55 need a 500 to help it move, or only to make sure a 500 can fit - or to show there's a 500 here inside ?
1952 60 Special in France.

Harold Noell, CLC 15821

by no means does it need a 500. just want a faster than run of the mill. Have not seen many 331 projects where a 331  was built for HP and easy cruising. All info to build the 331 appreciated including transmission advice appreciated. Who are the better engine builders for this motor?

Jay Friedman

Harold, your car is Model 6237, which Cadillac called a 5 Passenger Coupe.  Trim 51 means the upholstery is gray in color and a combination of cloth and leather.  Paint code 10 means the body color is black.

I'm not sure what your problem is when you describe the car as fairly slow and that you want to improve its "cruiseablity".  I've never driven a '55 except at city street speeds, but my totally stock 4,100 lb. 1949, which has the same 331 engine, but with only 160 hp, a 7.5:1 compression ratio and a 2-barrel carburetor, will cruise all day on the interstate at 70 mph, accelerate from 0 to 60 in 13 seconds or so and has a top speed of 95-100 mph (though I've never gone faster than 80).  In the 28 years I've owned it I've driven it on many long trips as far as 1,200 miles from home and it's a great road car.  According to the Cadillac data base a 4,500 lb. 1955, on the other hand, has an 8.25:1 compression ratio, a 4 barrel carburetor and 230 hp.  If in good running condition it supposedly will also do 0 to 60 in 13 seconds or so and has a top speed of 115 mph.  If that's not fast enough, what is? 

You could install a dual point distributor breaker plate with a larger condenser and wider exhaust pipes as well as some other "invisible" items to give it slightly more power.  If it is being rebuilt, once your engine is running and tuned you should be pleased with it in my opinion.  It's not a 500 hp 2012 CTS but 1949-55 Cadillacs with the 331 are strong running cars and if properly cared for the motor is "bullet-proof".

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."