News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 Gas Gauge

Started by Kevin Kenneally, December 30, 2012, 09:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Kenneally

What is the easiest way to tell if my gas gauge not working is a ground wire issue or a problem with the float? Thanks! 

Dave Shepherd

Disconnect the wire to the tank, then ground it see if the dash gage moves empty to full, if so the dash gage is good, if not usually the float is bad.

Kevin Kenneally

I will try that, thanks for the quick reply!  My Caddy only has 21,xxx original miles, can the float go bad with so few miles or does it go by age?  Thanks..

J. Gomez

Kevin,

What deteriorates is the element on the rheostat, oxidation sets real quickly and the moving brush rubbing against the rheostat causes the majority of the faults.

You may need to remove yours to do a visual and physical inspection.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Kevin Kenneally

I have not done much to my Cadillac myself, it hasnt needed much and always had help.  Well my help is gone so know I have to learn from scratch.  I gotta ask a stupid question, I think I can figure out the wire going to the tank, how do I ground it to see if the ground is my problem?  Also, if the ground is my problem how do I run a seperate ground to fix the problem?

Dave Shepherd

You can splice into the wire with a jumper then ground the jumper  to the frame ( key on) the gage should move, you are checking the continuity of the wire as well as whether the dash gage is working.

Kevin Kenneally