News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 eldo heater core replacement advice

Started by steve eldridge, January 02, 2013, 10:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve eldridge

found a new heater core at advance auto parts in chicago and planning to install. any one did this fun job? any advice? thanks steve eldridge 773 318 6491 chicago

joecaristo

Just did this job on a 77 Eldorado. A shop manual is very helpful. You have to take apart the whole dash and dig pretty deep. I attached some pictures. The engine compartment picture shows where you have to remove 4 nuts. I think the shop manual wasn't very clear about that so that picture will be helpful. Take your time. A helper to remove the lower dash would also be a good idea.
Joe
p.s. this car is also for sale. 15,000 original miles.
Joe Caristo

steve eldridge

thanks 4 the info. same color eldo here that im fixing. you have a great interior! perfect steering wheel! wow! mine needs a good cleaning but plastic and leather ok with no cracks. just dusty. in pictures you did not remove glove box door for access to heater core? maybe it came out under dash area. oh well i will see and be an expert after i do this job. but then heat in chicago is a good thing and well worth the labor this time of year!

joecaristo

Glove box door dosn't need to be removed but the insert inside, screws and little wire that holds the door does.
Joe Caristo

steve eldridge

Sunday nite and new heater core in 78 eldo. started at 12noon and was not too bad. took off glove box door and liner. Then removed front passenger seat for more room. Now i can fix the seat broken cable for forward and back movements. Now i really have alot of room to work, so removed program er and vac lines. moved over to ash tray and removed along with radio. Now can get center black plastic air duct disconnected top driver side fiber hose and removed from heater box. 3 vac cans at driver side, marked and pulled hoses.  2 inside  edge heater box bolts removed, then under hood for 4 more bolts. I soaked them in wd40 to remove easy. cut old hoses off, blew out old coolant so it would not spill into car. Pulled heater box. came out under dash. Did not remove upper dash pad. just glove box, ash tray assembly and pulled radio. i took pictures to explain.  cleaned coolant from heater box and install new heater core. remember to put the 2 vac hoses on the rear by the drivers side before bolting box back on car. No room to attach 2 hoses after box back on firewall. checked every vac unit and all hoses to work with hand vac pump. Also checked all light bulbs and put in new ones, and checked all wires. easy with front pass seat removed. Advance auto parts $31.00 new heater core and bought heater vac control valve too. my old one was leaky. so now good heat, to more stinky vapors coming out. thanks to every one for the advice, Steve Eldridge chicago. 

steve eldridge

here are some pictures of heater core job 78 eldo.