News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 ALLARD. Where some of the Cadillac engines went.

Started by R Schroeder, January 03, 2013, 04:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

This 53 Allard came with a Cadillac engine, and a 3 speed tranny.  They were ordered with many different V-8 engines but Cadillac seemed to be the main choice.
This one is shown at our local hamburger place in town , during the summer months. Culvers in Mukwonago , Wis.
These are not cheap.
This site will explain the car.
Thought you might want to know who else Cadillac sold engines to.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z9633/Allard-J2X.aspx

Guidematic

Yes, these were brutally fast cars, especially in their time. The first cars with Ford V-8's were competitive, but when Cadillac and Chrysler engines were used, they simply ran away from the competition. In a straight line.

The Achilles heel of these cars was that split beam front ale. Sydney Allard took the easy way of making an IFS by simply cutting a beam axle in the middle and pivoting it. The geometry changes through the travel certainly made the car challenging to drive on a twisty coarse.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

R Schroeder

I'll have to see if the guy will give me a ride in it, next summer.
The car looks like it weighs next to nothing.
He got the car after his father-in-law passed away. I'll bet its fun to drive with the Caddy engine in it.
Roy

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

If anyone is interested I have a 1953 Cadillac 331 engine, setup for manual trans includes clutch and flywheel,  a commercial chassis engine # 2S458.  Perfect for someone rebuilding or making a vintage Allard.  $1000. You pickup West Bloomfield, Michigan    Tim Pawl CLC #4383

Jay Friedman

I once exchanged emails with a guy who worked on them for racers.  He wrote that some Allards with Cadillac engines used relatively weak Ford 3-speed transmissions, which would need rebuilding after only one race.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

ninosdad

Allards are so cool and fast. A neighbor has one with a Dodge Red Ram was sold to a Dodge dealer in Yakima WA. What most people do not realize is that the Allard is the father of the Cobra...Carrol Shelby was a driver for Sydney Allard. He had to quit driving dure to heart problems, he had a heart transplant eventually lived until last year. The Allard is the genisis of the Cobra Shelby saw the benefit of a light English and American power.
Don Fernandez

R Schroeder

Shelby lived a great life for a guy who started out with a bum ticker, and spent a lot of his youth in bed.
  New heart and kidneys, and he lived to be 89. Not bad.
This car is becoming very interesting ,as I read about it.
Roy

Guidematic

And delving into automotive history in general is intensely fascinating.

Mike

Guidematic

Here's a site that I am absolutely addicted to. Well researched and well written articles.

http://ateupwithmotor.com/index.php

Mike

R Schroeder

Thanks Mike.
That will fill in my boring time during the day this winter. Very interesting.
Roy