News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

help caddy newbie!!!!!!

Started by steve36, January 03, 2013, 08:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve36

Hi all

I am about to pull the trigger on a 1936 fleetwood convertible 75 series..its on ebay right now...of course the pics make the car look good but I can tell there are issues..maybe an older restoration or a sloppy one ..probably needs 10k to improve..Im not looking for Hershey show quality..I just want a nice car to win trophy at local shows..ie  good paint  good interior nice chrome etc...I think this could be the one...I can get it for 55K...nada is 66K for avg 20 footer...anyhow question is can these cars be heavily driven ..I like to drive them all weekend...will engine handle miami fl heat....can the engine handle 60mph on highway? Is this a bad year for the car?...Thanks

Classic

I have seen this car listed on eBay repeatedly and obviously it hasn't sold.  Must be a reason.  If I was going to spend that much money, I would highly recommend inspecting the car yourself or have an independent appraiser do it.   If you need an appraiser, here's a possibility:  http://www.autoappraisal.com/.  I've never used them and don't know anything about them, but they advertise a lot.  If you choose to contact them, I would ask them a lot of questions about the qualifications of the appraiser they propose to use.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

steve36

Gene

Thanks so much....I also noticed that it has made the ebay rounds....and I have learned my lessons the hard way in the past and I hired an inspector yesterday and he is scheduled to go out there saturday...keeping my fingers crossed...I have a beautifully restored 46 lincoln continental that I am trying to sell and just keep the caddy,,,I want a car with plenty of legroom in back for my kids and Lincoln just does not have it..Im assuming I will need paint and upholstery and some engine/suspension work...I hear 36 parts are hard to come by and if so then I may be updating the car right out of ccca...so be it

C.R. Patton II

Hello Steve

Welcome to the Message Board.

Please be patient and diligent in your search for a Cadillac.

These are the steps I would recommend:
(1) Join the Cadillac & LaSalle Club to gain membership benefits, and the global network.
(2) Join a region near your residence for comraderie, experience, and knowledge.
(3) Do your research on the model you desire before you purchase.
(4) Maintain an open mind to listen to the wisdom of this organization's members.

We will celebrate your purchase of a wonderful LaSalle or Cadillac at our Grand National in Boston this summer.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

steve36

CR

Your words of wisdom are greatly appreciated....I do need to pause and take a breath...should I read between the line of your reply as a warning to stay away from the vehicle..or just general advice

Thanks

okccadman

Is this the black one with a vinyl convertible top?
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Jay Friedman

Personally, I would not buy a car without a personal inspection.  There are too many things that can remain unsaid or merely overlooked, even with the best of intentions on the part of the seller.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

steve36

yes its black one with vinyl top

and I hired an inspector he goes there tomo

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

There's more things wrong with that car than I can list. It's a rare car that someone did a very shoddy incorrect restoration on.
Be REAL careful....
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

steve36

Please if you know something tell me...are you able to tell from just looking at it or are you familiar with this car

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I'm not familiar with this car, but I am familiar with 36's.
Incorrect items that stand out.
Fog lites
conv. top
rear window
cigarette lighter
head lite lenses?
no WS wipers
small parking lites on head lites
lollipop mirrors on SM covers.
the SM covers themselves.
style & workmanship of the seat cover material.

HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

okccadman

That car was at an estate auction here in Oklahoma City last Summer. The man that built it had it for many years but was definately not concerned with details.  It seems to be a decent car but far from correct.  If you are just looking for a cool driver, it might be the one.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

harry s

Steve,  That car is a very rare and limited production car that seems to be well cared for but not well done cosmetically. I have the same car as a 1937. Before hitting a deer enjoyed driving it. I put a little over 13K in about as many years on tours and just fun driving. These cars come with a 4.60 rear and don't like to cruise over 60mph. The only alternative to that rear is aftermarket gear change, overdrive unit or adapt some other complete rear eng change. The brakes on the car are 14" and do a great job of stopping an almost 6K# car. When you have the top down and are cruising, maybe South Beach, life is good. One of the most important things to  have checked is the wood superstructure under the car and throughout if possible. Aside from all of the mechanical checks the wiring harness looks original and in need of replacement (cost roughly $2000 part & labor). If you are satisified with the overall condition and inspection report along with the incorrect items mentioned and can buy it at the right price it could be a cool car. As to price, there  was a '37 on ebay recently that was in pretty good condition that bid up into the mid $60ks  and didn't meet the reeserve. Based on my observations and a little wishful thinking I believe the value of these cars, well done and in very good condition should be in the $70 to $75K range. You will have  to decide on how much to pay for this car and how much you want to put into it to bring it up to standard. In the event one pays too much for a car or the restoration of it there is always the return on enjoyment that makes up the difference., Keep us posted and Good Luck,   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Quote from: Classic on January 03, 2013, 09:54:54 PM
I have seen this car listed on eBay repeatedly and obviously it hasn't sold.  Must be a reason.  If I was going to spend that much money, I would highly recommend inspecting the car yourself or have an independent appraiser do it.   If you need an appraiser, here's a possibility:  http://www.autoappraisal.com/.  I've never used them and don't know anything about them, but they advertise a lot.  If you choose to contact them, I would ask them a lot of questions about the qualifications of the appraiser they propose to use.

A couple of facts I can pass on - First, as a user of the CLC forum I have no wish to violate any of the rules for it's use, including the one prohibiting disparaging remarks about vendors here on the forum. Second, I used these folks for an appraisal in the Vero Beach area of Florida. Third, I find it interesting that one can transpose the first two letters of the third word in the previous sentence and make an entirely different word.

I have learned a lot from my fellow CLC members, I'd suggest seeing if any would be interested in taking a look at the car for you. You'll not only gain information about the car before you decide whether to purchase, but make some friendly contacts in the process with whom you can continue to learn, perhaps also help in return, and exchange information with for the future.
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

steve36

First let me thank all of the members for all your help...I really feel that members of this forum are genuinely concerned about fellow caddy and lasalle owners..I just hope I don't wear out my welcome...today i went ahead and bought the car after receiving a favorable inspection from the company I hired in St. louis...wood was in good shape...engine in good shape...suspension was a recent restoration and functioned properly...paint is solid and with a good shine...interior is good material...what needs to be done is the interior needs to be refit and screws need to be used instead of staples...seats are overstuffed making a cramped drivers seat even worse...rechrome...new wider whitewalls..and most certainly a new cloth roof..I got the car for 50k..would I have liked 40k sure but I think with about 10k in fix up Ill be good..with regard to the incorrect items..the previous owner definitely cut a few corners but nothing I can't live with..Im not taking it to Hershey...I like to drive my cars heavy..Ill send pics after Im done Thanks again

harry s

Congratulations Steve. Having those key items checked will give peice of mind. That is a special car and can be enjoyed for many years to come. Keep us posted.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

C.R. Patton II

Hello Steve

Congratulations on the purchase of your Cadillac!

I'm glad you appreciated the advice of our members. Our goal was to equip you with the information to "make" a decision YOU are happy with.

I may have two sisters but YOU have to choose the one you can live with.

I hope to see you and the car at the Boston Grand National this summer.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

steve36

ok since I'm new please have patience...

is mcveys best place for 1936 parts

what is widest whitewall i can put on 36 fleetwood and is coker only choice..they are pushing 4" and i see wider on the real acca cars

where can I find gauges..it appears that my clock gauge is a lighter color than speedometer

where can I find wiper arms and blades..mine are missing

what gas do I use ..premium ...regular..w flat v8

driving quarters are a little cramped..Im 6'3..I do notice that the front seat is overstuffed on seat cushion and back cushion..I can certainly have them thinned out to add a few inches of legroom and headroom ...any other suggestions

also seem to be missing the clock on back of partition

thats all for now

thanks