News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'56 Differential- Another question

Started by Charlie CLC#18187, January 06, 2013, 10:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie CLC#18187

There is one tooth on the pinion gear that has about 5/8" missing at the back end.  A couple others have tiny chips.    I can't detect any binding or roughness on the damaged teeth.  Assuming there is no issue with rough mating surfaces, will this loss of contact area potentially cause further damage due to more stress being placed on the preceeding or suceeding teeth while running?   

Past discussions indicate that it is very difficult to disassemble and repair these differentials.  My hope is it is low risk to run it this way.  You thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie                                                   
1956 Coupe de Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Charlie,

There is every possibility that it could go on for ever, but the question on everyone's lips, is, "what caused the piece to break off in the first place?"

The load on a tooth is taken over a large area of the tooth, and the adjacent teeth as the gear turns, so there is no any one tooth taking the load all on its' own.

Do you know how long the piece has been missing?  And, did you find the piece, or pieces within the housing?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Gomez

Charlie,

If I may suggest, the best option in your case would be to find a replacement unit and replace the carrier unit. You would have a better chance with a new one than trying to fix yours in the current condition.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

walt chomosh #23510

Charlie,
  I've TIG welded a number of transmission and rear axle gears with success....I used stainless rod for the repair..walt...tulsa,ok

Charlie CLC#18187

To Bruce's question-

There is a 7/8" diameter polished pin in the center of the differential "hub".  I think it may serve as a stop for the axles.  On one end, there is a 1/4" hole in the hub and in this pin.  It would appear that a roll pin or the like is supposed to go through the hub and the center pin to hold it in place.  I saw that the center pin was free to move in its bore and had slid out and contacted the pinion.  I found pieces of the pinion gear tooth, but no sign of a pin to hold the large center pin in place.   

I know when this happened, as the noise was terrible.  I drove it about ten miles, so the damage was surprisingly minimal.  I am leaning toward running it this way unless I can come up with a known good used 3.36 differential.  Unless anyone out there knows who can work on these differentials.         

Thanks,
Charlie

1956 Coupe de Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

That 7/8" diameter "Pin" is there to act as a bearing journal for the Sun Gears, and unless the axles are held in by "C" Clips, as in the Chev 12 Bolt diffs, then that is all it does.

I am tipping that there should be a Roll Pin holding it in place, as if it was a "C" Clip type axle, then the retaining pin would be a bolt-in pin.

If it wasn't there, and you can find no trace of one, then something is definitely wrong.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

I know where a NOS differential is located, if you have interest. Shipping may be a problem, the diff is in Switzerland. It was bought by error...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Charlie CLC#18187

Let me reply to three of you gentlemen:

Walt- I would certainly try a pinion gear repair or replacement if there was a way to get the thing apart. 

Bruce-  I have a roll pin now installed, nice and tight.  If the original worked out (seems highly unlikely), it may have gotten lost in the process of removing the differential, but I have looked everywhere. 

Roger-  I would certainly be interested, but I imagine the cost of the part and the shipping would be jaw-dropping.  What is the ratio?  Mine is (optional) 3.36, but I could live with 3.07 if I had to.

Thanks all,
Charlie
1956 Coupe de Ville

Roger Zimmermann

Charlie, the ratio is 3.36. I will contact the owner; maybe he will be glad to get rid of it. I'll let you know.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

The owner from that diff is the Cadillac Club Switzerland postmaster; he still has the diff. With the current exchange rate, it's value is $ 1'200.00 plus shipping. (it's heavy!)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Charlie CLC#18187

Thank you Roger- I have sent you a PM. 
1956 Coupe de Ville

Jeff Maltby 4194

Having shipped a 100 lb 49 pumpkin to Europe before, the only cost effective way is by container.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Charlie CLC#18187

All-  I  am taking a shot with the chipped tooth on the pinion.  I put it back together and will give it a whirl.  I plan to drive to the National, so I will put some good mileage on it first.  Thanks for your input. 
1956 Coupe de Ville