News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1987 Eldo starter

Started by 60eldo, January 09, 2013, 12:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Can anyone tell me where the starter is located, and can I change it in my driveway, or should I take it to a shop? I turned the key last night and nothing, no click but lots of power to lights and all, tryed boosting,,,,,,NOTHING HELP
Jon. Kluczynski

936CD69

The starter is on the front of the engine, near the a/c compressor, so access isn't too bad. Try rapping on the starter lightly with a hammer while someone turns the key for you
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Guidematic

Yes, try that.

You should check to see that the small wire on the solenoid is getting power when you turn the key. Also chack the battery cables, including the connection at the starter.

If all is good there, then replace the starter. They are cheap and plentiful, available everywhere. But make sure you get a good quality rebuild, there is a lot of junk out there. The starter itself is easy to replace.

If there is no power at the small wire, then you'll have to look elsewhere for the cause, possibly the neutral safety switch. You'll need proper wiring schematics to properly diagnose it. These cars were on the cutting edge of electronics in their day, so they are fairly complex.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Gene Beaird

Do the lights dim when you turn the key?  That would indicate that at least you're getting power to the starter.  If not, then you have an issue with the starter circuit.  Perhaps a relay has failed.

I'd also verify the battery is up to snuff.  With an ohm meter, verify you are showing about 12.5-13.5V with the key off.  Have someone turn the key and see what the ohm meter reads then.  I recently had a battery fail on our race car.  It would run all the electrical gear, and display 12.7V with the switch off, but the second I hit the starter button, the voltage on the battery dropped to 10V.  We had a dead cell.  Replaced the battery and all is good again.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

60eldo

Thanks guys, car is in my driveway, great suggestions, let me get out there, I will let u no what happens,,,maybe it will start right up, now that shes rested,,,hahaha
Jon. Kluczynski

60eldo

OK I think I found the problem,,,Turned out the NEG terminal on Bat. was loose,,,makes sence cause last nite when I boosted it and nothing happened wouldnt matter how much power I put to the Bat if there was not a good connection at Ground terminal,,,Thanks everyone for your help...IM ON THE ROAD AGAIN 8)
Jon. Kluczynski