News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

usa parts supply observations

Started by Renato, January 09, 2013, 06:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renato

G'day

I checked the http://www.usapartssupply.com. They have many useful parts. It's not cheap. Rockauto much more cheaper...

Do you have any observations? Are they selling good quality items? Sy have ever problem with them? Thank you
R. Bognar

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have used Rockauto many times, and very happy with their service.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Renato

Yes they are not bad, buy usaparts have much more for old Caddys
R. Bognar

76eldo

Rock Auto has a great website and they have great prices and service.

However, unfortunately for them, lately I have been taking the AC Delco part numbers I find there, and go to Amazon.com and search these number there and find pricing about 25% less!

I just ordered an idle speed sensor and throttle position sensor for a 99 Eldo from Amazon, new Delco parts, for the best prices anywhere.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeff Wilk

I agdee with Dave here.   I dont get why we cant rate our vendor experiences though. No trash talk, no people names, just a satisfaction score and review.  All sites have reviews.

Here for example id say on a 1-10 scale with 10 being the best service and best quality parts with knowledgeable staff id give USA a 7.   In comparison id give OPGI a 4.   Id give mcVeys a 10. Id give rubber the right way a 9. And i could go on.......

What do others think of this approach?
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Guidematic

Is it an issue about potential litigation? I can't see why. If a person has a bad experience wioth a vendor, they should be able to let the world know. Some vendors I have heard about have a very poor reputation, yet no one here is allowed to post it.

It just allows other unwitting folk to fall right into the same experience.

However it seem we have found a way around it here.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Davidinhartford

I'm not sure Mike, but you could be right.   

It does suck that we can't name the vendors who give terrible service.

I have a lengthy restoration thread on this board that goes into great detail about me troubles with an unnamed vendor.  Delayed shipping,  wrong parts sent, rude employees on the phone.  etc.  Anyone who wants to read it and ask me privately can get the vendors name.

The downside is that we can't get some of these parts from just anywhere.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just to add a hint or reality here.  Specialty companies like USA Parts are exactly that.  They specialize in collecting an inventory of some of the most esoteric items imaginable.  They are NOT nor do they ever claim to be  "the Pep Boys of the automotive world" (my words).  I ran a specialty business (in a previous life) and had a large inventory (read that lot of money) tied up in items for a niche group of consumers.  I HAD to charge enough money to stay in business.
This is not a "paid" endorsement for USA parts, but a reminder that the manufacture of most of the specialty parts that go into any of our cars older than the 70's have long since stopped.  There are several vendors that have invested large sums of money in obtaining NOS inventories or manufacturing reproduction items.  They have and do serve our "hobby" well.
I personally have done business with USA parts for about 20 years.  I visited their latest location in Martinsburg WV last year when I was in Virginia, met the people there, got a tour of their (seemingly) acres of warehouse and was impressed with their efficiency and businesslike manner.
There have been (over the 20 years) a couple of occasions where there have been issues with merchandise, but never a moment's hesitation on their part top make things right.
Sorry for the "rant'
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Chris Conklin

I'll side with Mr. Surfas on this one, never had any problems with USA Parts. The items have always arrived sooner than expected.
Chris Conklin

Series75

I agree with Mr. Surfas.  I recall receiving a 62 water pump that lasted 2 days and no issues getting full refund.   "Happy" is subjective.   Everyone sees it differently.  But i am having difficulty comparing a specialty shop with high volume retailers.  Right Church, different pew.   Tom CLC#6866

Davidinhartford

How does being a specialty shop any different than a big retailer?     Customer service should be even more important if you are a small specialty shop.

Are you saying you should be less upset if a specialty shop ships you the wrong part several times?   Or if their staff is rude when you call asking to speak to the owner?

The only difference I see is the lack of competition.    If I get terrible service at my local Dunkin Donuts I can go to another one.  But if I need a car part that is old left over stock, I should kiss their arse and hope it fits?    No thanks.   

We need forums like this to help eachother.  Even if it means posting : " No comment due to forum rules".   Everyone here knows what that means.

Renato

What kind of popular question :) It seems they are not bad.
R. Bognar

Renato

R. Bognar

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Tom's experience countered mine in regards to a water pump. Mine also lasted two days when it failed and was told the pump was not returnable because it had been installed on a car. They offered an exchange but I didn't want to chance being out another $125 in labor so I didn't want another pump from them. They also balked because I painted the pump blue. A call to my credit card company took care of the problem.

On another occasion we had to return a heat riser for a '58 Cadillac which was bad. My mechanic was real thrilled about that too. They exchanged it but it was more labor wasted.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Renato

Sirs, Guys,

Our (who are not Americans) situation much more difficult. Not so easy to communicate and send back thing from Europe. Good to know which service good and which bad.
R. Bognar

quadfins

The moderators understand your concerns.

We request that any replies that might be construed to be derogatory remarks, and therefore in violation of the rules, be communicated via personal messages or email.

We trust that you understand our concerns.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Bentley

I have used USA Parts Supply many times in the past and my experience might be at odds with some of the comments here. If you would like to communicate privately, I would be glad to tell you about my experiences with them. Here is my personal email address: wesleybentley@sbcglobal.net.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

bigdave

Hi guys, I'm new here. I ordered a set of 1/4 extensions and rear bumper fillers from USA parts today for my 81 Coupe deVille. Has anyone purchased these fillers. I'm not expecting them to fit very well without some work, but hoping they are atleast of decent quality. I will post my experience when they arrive.
'65 Eldorado
'67 Calais
'81 Coupe deVille
'03 CTS

R Schroeder

Dave, it can be a shot in the dark.
I didn't order from them, but the first set I got from a different company didn't fit at all. I sent them back ,and the second set I got were made completely different. Looked like a totally different company made them.
The first set was a 1/2 short on the bottom too.
Check them out real good before you change any holes on them. I had to enlarge the holes on one of them to get them to fit ,but it worked out OK. You also may have to modify the steel mounting bracket inside .
I'm happy with the fit on mine now.
Roy