News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

L78 15 RADIAL?

Started by 60eldo, January 09, 2013, 11:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

I have a L78 15 Uniroyal Radial tire thats a 2 in WW,,is that strange?  It seems almost new,,it was in a 76 cad as a spare,,still has nubs. I thought these were just bias tires not radials
Jon. Kluczynski

Renato

Good tyres what is the question?
R. Bognar

kevinanderson

The original Uniroyals on my '76 are an 1-5/8. I purchased a set of 1.6 American Classics.  I got to looking and finally measured. That little extra width really made a difference in the car's appearance. I think I read these were an option.
Kevin

mgbeda

My dad bought his 76 DeVille in 78 with 10,000 miles; it still had the original tires.  I remember they had a 1 7/8 inch whitewall.  I remember it well because a year later my brother bought a 79 CDV and we had an argument whether the whitewalls where the same width on the different cars, so we measured.  76 was 1 7/8; 79 was 1/5/8.

And yes i remember they were BF Goodrich LR-78 x 15.  When we got new tires we had to have it explained to us that the P235 x 15 were the same size as the old L.

I also remember my Mom's 75 Plymouth (bought in 77) had letter-sized tires.  So it must have been around 1980, give or take a year or two, that the "P metric" sizing took over, while radials started appearing in the early '70s.

-mB

-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

pacificnwrider

I know this is a bit of a tangent, but where are you guys shopping for your wide ww tires?  i'm looking for a set to put on my recently acquired 79 Seville.  I can buy a decent set of blackwalls for about half or less of the comparable set with the ww...what's up with that? am I shopping in the wrong place? I'm not locked into a particular width, but something wider than the normal 3/4.  Can somebody direct me to the "bargain bin" or wide ww tires so I can rummage through? LOL!

76eldo

Don't buy cheap ones, they turn yellow in a few months.
Diamond Back Classics are the best ones out there that I have found.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)