News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

77 Seville fuel injector service

Started by mechanic80, January 13, 2013, 10:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechanic80

I could use a little guidance in opening up the fuel injector system.   I want to replace the seals and o-rings but the concern is the residual fuel pressure in the system.  I just got the CD service manual and I can't seem to find out how to release pressure.  I'll be sure to get the hoses too.  Thanks in advance.
Norbert Bartosiak
mechanic80

66 Eldo

I seem to remember the first generation Seville Bosch fuel injection having a Shrader valve on the fuel rail. If so you can relieve the pressure there. Use a rag to soak up any fuel even though it isn't much.  If it does not have this valve,  another way is to remove the fuel pump fuse and start the car. It should start or sputter which will relieve the pressure.

TJ Hopland

I thought it was Bendix that made that system...   Anyway I don't know the official process either but pulling the fuel pump fuse with the engine running is usually how I start the process on EFI cars.   That will usually take care of most of it so then like someone else mentioned a rag will catch whats left.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

66 Eldo

The computer is Bendix and some or all of the parts under the hood are Bosch. Years ago I needed a fuel pressure regulator for a '77. The Caddy dealer wanted $120 but the part had a Bosch # and I got the same thing for $45 from a foreign parts house. The system maybe was a Bosch design manufactured by Bendix under license from Bosch.  Maybe someone can comment and say for sure. 

waterzap

When I overhauled my Seville I replaced the regulator. I bought two, and still have one. Contact me if you are interested. Whatever price you can get it at, I will sell to you cheaper :-) I dont think they fail often, but replacing every 40 years or so is probably a good idea.

Great idea on replacing the seals. A REAL pain though. Thing is, the whole fuel rail bends. If I remember correctly, I placed the injectors and the fuel rail back first, then connected the other fuel lines. Definitely an easier job if I had help. When you press down on one side, the other side lifts up and the injectors lift out.

As far as releasing the pressure. The book says to release the pressure through the valve on the fuel rail. Myself, I just disconnected the battery, opened the gas cap, and cut the fuel line at the engine. It will spill some gasoline, but its not going to spray all over. Hold a rag around the hose when you cut it.

While you are at it, Rock Auto has some closeouts on injectors. I replaced all 8 my injectors. If your injectors are all 40 years old, new ones might be a good idea.
Leesburg, AL

mechanic80

Thanks, all, for your input.  These forums are the best thing since sliced bread!
NB
mechanic80