News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 V12 Cadillac rearend or transmission changes

Started by Stinson, January 14, 2013, 05:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinson

Okay, in the recent past we have talked about changing the rearend gears ($2,400 for making 3.83 ring and pinion - and can't get a lower gear ratio but would reduce RPM down 400); installing another rearend but want to keep 6 on 6 lugs because of my wheels: installing a Gear Vender ($3,000 for the correct unit alone to get a sixth gear overdrive); installing an automatic transmission 200 4C type II with an .67:1 overdrive (just what I need but a lot of money for work matching parts to the engine); or an 4 or 5 speed manual transmission with an overdrive. We are searching for the best solution to support the current 150 HP (3600 RPM) V12 engine. This original three speed transmission and 4.60:1 creates 2,899 RPM at 60 MPH and the engine runs hot because water is pumped too fast through the radiator to cool the water. Have been advised to insert a screen or washer having a smaller hole than the hose to or from the radiator to slow down the flow of water to have time to cool. But, this will not lower the RPM of the engine. Don't want to race the car just want to drive it about 60 MPH rather than the 45 MPH design to keep the engine cooler. Need to get out of everyones way.

My question is has anyone of you made any of these changes on a 1936 or 1937 Cadillac big series 85 V12?

I have also placed this question on the Modified Chapter.
Thank you,
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

harvey b

Ty, you might look at a T5 transmission,they come in the little S10 pickups,mustangs,and some camaro and firebirds,they are pretty reliable and are widely used behind a lot of flathead fords that are made into hotrods.I would try the H.A.M.B. website.The guys on there are into these trannys,just be sure to read the rules and so a proper introduction,they are brutal if you dont ;D. Good Luck.  Harvey
Harvey Bowness

Steve Passmore

The T5 wouldn't help with the gearing unless it has an overdrive and the adaption to the engine costs would make it prohibitive as there would be no "off the shelf" box to engine adaption for the V12 I'm sure.
Ty, what happened to the truck rear end project? I thought that was actually being done when you were here?

My vote for what its worth is still the Gear Vendors, keeps the low ratio for when you need it, gives an extra high, nothing but the drive shaft being cut into and best of all, everything stays original, big money I know Ty, but small beans compared to what this car has cost you so far.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Stinson

Hello Harvey and Steve, thank you.

My mechanic decided that he could not take the risk of getting the correct rearend located and installed in time for our daughter's wedding last November. Also, someone had advised that much later light truck rearends have been made since the Chevy '89 210 we were considering. Whatever rearend we select would require changing the wheel hubs and brake systems so that was a put off as well because I want to keep my 6 on 6 lug 16-inch wheels.

Before I do anything now I would like to know if others have made any of these changes to their '36 or '37 V12; and what problems or benefits they received.

Hope someone will respond.

Thank you,
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Tom Beaver

Ty,
Within reason, the higher the water flow rate through the radiator the more efficient it will be at removing heat.  Don't forget that lowering the water flow rate through the radiator also decreases flow through the engine block which will just increase the engine outlet temperature.  Just think about what would happen if you lower the flow rate to the extreem.

I would suggest trying to find out why the present cooling system is not adequate at your desired operating condition.  Air flow blockage, plugged tubes, radiator core too small, or maybe the engine is too far advanced or running lean at 3000 rpm are some thoughts.

Tom Beaver

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Tom Beaver on January 15, 2013, 01:57:52 AM
Ty,
Within reason, the higher the water flow rate through the radiator the more efficient it will be at removing heat.  Don't forget that lowering the water flow rate through the radiator also decreases flow through the engine block which will just increase the engine outlet temperature.  Just think about what would happen if you lower the flow rate to the extreme

Tom Beaver

I have to confess I have never heard of too fast a flow causing overheating, it would be a new one on me. I have known the reverse many times with several parts of the rad core blocked the flow is slowed and they overheat very quickly. Must be something else going on here. have you tried to see if the thermostat is faulty Ty?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe