News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac vs. EDSEL?

Started by Walter Youshock, January 16, 2013, 11:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Youshock

Here's an interesting advertising piece promoting the '58 Edsel to Cadillac owners.  Obviously, it wasn't very effective!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-1958-Edsel-Green-Line-vs-Cadillac-Brochure-/310566833273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484f39cc79
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Davidinhartford

Walter Youshock

I like how it says it's difficult to tell a '57 Cadillac from a '56.  There was no mistaking the Edsel for anything else, though.  Ford was really shooting for the moon with this one.  If anything, they should have set their sights a bit lower on the GM line--possibly Olds or Buick, certainly not Cadillac.

Hindsight is always 20/20!  Is the Citation the "Cadillac of Edsels"?  The Cimmaron the "Edsel of Cadillacs"?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

They tried it again with the 1976 Granada vs Seville.

Oh well... it only has to work some of the time.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

Then after the Grenada was the Lincoln Versailles abomination.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on January 16, 2013, 01:12:11 PM
Then after the Grenada was the Lincoln Versailles abomination.

PT Barnum said you can always fool some of the people some of the time. The Versailles fooled none of the people all the time.  ;D

Another attempt at comparing Ford to Cadillac:

(Looks like they shrunk the Caddy)

soonerinmo

Seems like comparing Ford or Edsel models with Cadillacs would lead the FoMoCo buyer to question the point in spending extra for a Mercury or Lincoln.

I like the Granada/Mercedes comparo  :o:

Brian Combs ><>

'67 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Sold)
'08 DTS

Walter Youshock

Maybe they thought Lincoln's only competition was Rolls-Royce?  Apparently they didn't get the memo that Cadillac, Lincoln and Imperial were considered the American luxury brands.

Granada vs. Mercedes--WOW!  The Rouge plant must have been belching some toxic fumes that day.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Quote from: soonerinmo on January 17, 2013, 08:00:15 AM

I like the Granada/Mercedes comparo  :o:

Yup- just like two peas in a pod... ???

Guidematic

What of the 1965 Ford ads where Ford said the LTD was quieter than the Rolls Royce.

Then my favourite where that fella was splitting diamonds in the back seat of a 1972 Grand Marquis.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

David Greenburg

I always thought the Granada, or Granola, as we used to call it, was targeted more at the Mercedes of that era rather than Cadillac.  I think they even copied the model designation, and had an "SEL" edition
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Eldorado Tex

The new Ford Fushion....atleast it's better than a Catera.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: David Greenburg on January 18, 2013, 02:32:46 AM
I always thought the Granada, or Granola, as we used to call it, was targeted more at the Mercedes of that era rather than Cadillac.  I think they even copied the model designation, and had an "SEL" edition

There was an ESS version of the Granada but I don't think Ford starting using SEL trim designations until the late 1990s, years after Mercedes-Benz had stopping using SEL.

waterzap

Quote from: ericdev on January 16, 2013, 12:06:10 PM
They tried it again with the 1976 Granada vs Seville.

Oh well... it only has to work some of the time.

Granada kind of looks like a chunky Seville.
Would love to drive one now, compare against the Seville. Anyone that ever wants to test drive a Seville in Charlotte. Let me know :-) I know why they sold so many of them.
Leesburg, AL

Dan LeBlanc

For those of you interested in reading the entire document, here it is.

Dan LeBlanc

Walter Youshock

That does it for me!  I'm trading my '57 CDV for an EDSEL! 

Like how they used the short-deck series 62 entry-level sedan for the size comparisons and not a 60 Special.  When was the last time anyone ever saw an 8:00 x 15 tire on a '58 Cadillac?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

For comparison purposes Ford chose the shorty S 62 sedan and ignored the long deck '58 sedan, all coupes and the 60 Special.

It was a valiant effort but converts were few.

Dan LeBlanc

Oh they were really stretching for sure. The most amusing being the comparison between the shift lever and the teletouch. How many Edsels do you see with it bypassed because it didn't work. It was so bad that it was dropped for 59.
Dan LeBlanc

Louis Smith

I seem to remember back then, some Chevrolet dealers were comparing their cars with Cadillacs.  They were trying to show that the styling wasn't that much different, but with a lower cost.

Big Apple Caddy

Some dealerships compared Cadillacs to lesser makes but not to say why buy a Cadillac when you can get a similar Ford, Chrysler, etc. for less but rather why buy a Ford, Chrysler, etc. when you can get a Cadillac for about the same price.

It was a bit of a stretch as they were often comparing the price of a discounted Cadillac against the full sticker price of other makes.