News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Dual quad engines with non electric chokes , how to run the lines ?

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, January 22, 2013, 01:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    I have a question on The dual quad engine with non electric chokes . Are both lines supposed to be attached to the exhaust manifold  jacket  independently  . or is there a Y connection that ties them together and only one line into the exhaust Manifold jacket .

Thanks,

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Eldovert

Hi Bill,
On my 55 a single line comes up from the manifold and then splits to both carbs.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

Bill Balkie 24172

Eldovert ,
Thank you for your response , Your engine looks first class .  I sent my Carburetors out to be rebuilt and just got them back . I built a stand with the correct center distance so i can plum up the carbs and get them ready for installation . . I know the fuel lines are 5/16 inverted flare fitting but i am not sure about the fitting for the chokes . are they standard 1/4 brass compression fittings .  also the plate that is attached to my exhaust manifold is held on with five  1/4- 20 bolts . I have two 1/4 inch holes  in each side of the plate . I know one is for the choke tube , but not sure what the other is for .  I have added a photo .

Thank you for your help ,

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bill,

This isn’t the best pic but I hope it helps. The stove or chimney pipe had a brazed joint at the “Y” with ¼” nipples at the carb. The chimney meets the manifold between cylinders 4 and 6. I don’t remember how it attached to the manifold. I want to say the chimney tube was a simple tapered fit into a hole in the manifold. But that seems like it weak fit from an engineering design stand point.

Ralph.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Ralph,
That is a great picture , and it shows that the y fitting looks like it was brazed , but i am not sure of the fittings on the chokes . I do not think the are inverted flares , and i am not sure if they are standard pluming fitting . It looks like it is a simple brass fitting that holds the tube against a sort of convex connection . I do not want to rush this job and i have plenty of time with three other projects going on at the same time .

Thank you Ralph,
                    Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Quentin Hall

G'day Bill. I made one of these for my car . The fittings to the chokes is a standard brass fitting I got at the local hydraulic fitting shop. It is just a doubled flaired end on the tubing.
                The long tube section 5 inches down from Y junction has cut and shut section to allow it to swivel into position easier. Basically just cut the tube and add another oversized inch long collar (id of collar same as od of tube)piece  that fits halfway over the upper tube and braised on . The lower section then is just pushed in once postioned on manifold.
                That probably reads like gobledegook. I'll try to take a pic if you are stuck.    Q     
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Roger Zimmermann

Bill, I don't know if you have your answer about the pipe towards the exhaust collector. This afternoon I did a picture from my '56; the location is not the same, but the principes are identical. On '57, the tube is coming from under the manifold (like on my Brougham) but to raise a Brougham is a lot of work because of the air suspension (about 1 hour and it was 0°C in the garage) as I don't let the whole pressure into the diaphragms; therefore, no picture from the '57 manifold...
As you can see, the tube has a ring; a retainer is used to avoid that the pipe is getting out of the manifold. And, you are seeing right, that bit is brass because the tube was rotted at that place and brass was the rescue.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101