News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

40 Lasalle heaters

Started by Ben Medlock, January 26, 2013, 11:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Medlock

Just got an authenticity manual for my 40 5019 Lasalle I'm restoring. Lot's of great information in there and compliments to all who put it together.
One thing in particular really throws me off that I can't figure out. The manual states that the heat system with the under seat heaters was not available on 5019's with fender wells---- my car has dual fender wells with the under seat heaters. The heaters appear to be factory installed. Anyone else found this discrepancy or have any insight on this subject?

C.R. Patton II

Hello Ben

Wonderful to hear that you are restoring your LaSalle.

Three guesses on your issue:

(1) Your under seat heaters were a Special Order
(2) Your under seat heaters were a dealer addition
(3) Your additional (6W) wheels were not factory

Your body plate will provide a clue. Please update us on your progress. Thanks
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Ben Medlock

Thanks for the input. Not sure what on the tag will give me a clue. I've attached a picture of the tag. The thing I'm not sure about is the suffix on the trim code. It's hard to make out but it looks like -W. Any ideas?

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Does your car have the fresh air defroster that goes with the underseat heaters?  That is where the problem is I think.  There is not room for the fresh air vent on the side of the cowl.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Doug Houston

Your body pl;ate tells the story. If the car had been equipped with side mounted spares from the factory, there would be a "-6w" at the right bottom corner of the tag.

There is no notation on the body plate, so it means that the car didn't leave the factory with the side mounted spares.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Ben Medlock

In addition to the under seat heaters, it has the heater unit that mounts to the firewall with the 3 doors. It's hard to believe someone would have changed the fenders out after production but I guess anythings possible. I still have a ways to go before I'm ready to reinstall heaters-- maybe it will all make since once I get it all hooked back up. It's been 5 years since I disassembled everything.

One more question about the heater. The one that mounts to the firewall---- Is it correct that it is painted brown and has a Cadillac emblem on it? It appears all the other painted parts on the inside get painted Hermes Gray. Seems a little odd to have a brown heater with Gray trim.
Thanks for the input.

markl

Ben,
I probably should wait to see if someone else will reply that actually has a 40.  But I will tell you that my 37 LaSalle,  (a 5019) also has a brown heater emblazoned w/ a Cadillac emblem.  The color does not match the other interior trim color, but seemed real close to rattle can brown hammer-tone (I forget which brand now).

So I'd bet this is original, and unless someone else has recently re-done theirs, you might just want to try some rattle can samples and see if you can match what is on there now.

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216