News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Transmission Drive Chain for 68 Eldorado

Started by Forgiven1989, January 26, 2013, 11:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forgiven1989

Does anyone know where I can buy a new transmission drive chain for a 68 Eldorado?  Thanks.

TJ Hopland

I have had those transmissions worked on before and never needed a chain.   I wonder if its a rare to fail part that may be a little difficult to find a new replacement for?   I don't ever recall hearing about one needing to be replaced before.    I suspect it would be the same for the 66-78 toros as well as the 73-78 GMC motorhomes.   If anyone was going to wear out one of those chains I bet it would be the GMC folks so I would try looking at some of their sites and sources.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Forgiven1989

I have tried several sources.  I was told that the chains are not made anymore.  Thanks.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Probably because they never need replacing.   I heard years ago that these chains were so over-designed and over-built, that they were almost guaranteed for life.

Has anyone ever heard of one of these Morse Chains requiring replacing?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dave Shepherd

Looks like everone is hinting at what is wrong with the old one , working at Cadillac for 25 years from 62-87, never knew of one failing.

Forgiven1989

Well, someone is buying them.  I checked with several suppliers and none of them had any left and said that they could not get any more.  My 68 Eldorado has a lot of play in the drivetrain.  You can feel it when you excelerate and decelerate.  Years ago I owned a high mileage 71 Toronado.  The chain was so loose in it that it accually slipped past the sprocket if you excelerated too hard.  I just want to have one in case I need it.  Thanks.

Dave Shepherd

Make sure the rubbler coupling on the axle shaft is not causing this.

Forgiven1989

I just had both CV axle joints replaced.  Would this take care of that?  Thanks.

TJ Hopland

If it still had a damper in a shaft replacing them would have solved it since no one has made shafts with dampers for a long time. 

How are the motor and trans mounts?   I can't remember if it was my 73 or an 80 I was pulling the engine out of but one of them the trans mount had completely disinterested.  The motor mounts on the earlier cars are the fairly typical design that cant move much even if the rubber is gone but I think the trans did leave some room to move.   

Forgiven1989

I just had the front motor mount revulcanized by Steele Rubber.  The transmission mounts are both OK. Thanks.

Glen

How was your experience with getting your engine mount revulcanized?  I need to do my spare. 

Thanks
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

68-70 mounts must be different than the 71-78?    I was able to buy new ones a couple years ago for mine but it would not be a surprise that they design changed with the other body changes for the later cars.

Forgiven1989

Glen,  The revulcanized motor mount turned out great.  It looks like a new one.

Glen

Thanks Dave, I’ll send mine out soon. 

TJ, yes the ’67 â€" ’70 Eldorado engine mounts are different.  There is one large one in front below the harmonic balancer.  There are two smaller ones on the transmission. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

Interesting that they are different and also interesting that it sounds like the way the 79-85 E's were too. 

Anyone know if the 66-70 Toro used the same mount?  Or did those perhaps use the the 71-78 style?

Aaron Hudacky

Dave,

When you had the CV joints replaced, were they done on both left and right axles?  I'm not sure if the joints can be done without replacing the axle, but if they were, you could still have the damper in the original axle.  My 70  Eldorado had the original right side drive axle when I bought it and the damper was shot, making the drive train clunk and feel very sloppy.  I replaced the right axle/joint assembly and it completely eliminated the clunk and slack.  The left side had already been replaced.  From what I've read, only the right side axle had the damper.

Aaron
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

Dave Shepherd

Lots of intersting info, but in the final frame what is actually wrong with the car? Diagnose 1st, fix 2cnd.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Isn't the "Damper" just a simple Harmonic Balancer?  Or is the Right Shaft actually two pieces, joined in the middle of the damper?

I don't have a spare axle to cut up to satisfy my curiosity.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Forgiven1989

Aaron,  I had both CV axle joints replaced.  There is still lots of play in the drivetrain especially when you play with the gas peddle. I also at times have a transmission shutter from 1st to 2nd gear.   Dave Sheppard,  I have taken this car to two different shops.  They are both telling me that they are not sure what is causing the play in the drivetrain.  One said that it could be that the big nut in the differential could be loose. I sometimes feel like the big nut for buying a car with so many problems. But what can you expect with a 45 year old car?  Dave

Glen

The CV joints can be changed without replacing the axels. 

In the attached picture from the shop manual you can see the damper on the axel.  The axel is a two piece and they are connected in the damper with a rubber piece.  I have heard of them breaking completely and the engine side spinning in the damper with no movement at the wheel.  If that happens you also lose the locking effect of putting the transmission in park. 

When they get that loose they can also wobble causing vibration. 

I also see a problem in the photo.  The toe-in adjustment should be in the ears up position because it can in some situations hit the sway bar interfering with steering. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104