News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 coupe deville fender skirt to tire problem

Started by frankie, February 01, 2013, 09:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie

I recently purchased a 1976 cadillac coupe deville which is all original including the tires. I then bought all new American classic tires and brand new Tru-Spoke wire wheels already mounted on the tires. Upon mounting the new tires and wire wheels, I find there is no clearance on the passenger side between the tire and the fender skirt. The mounting rod on the top of the fender skirt rubs on the tire. The drivers side skirt however has sufficient clearance. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be? Just note that the tires are the exact same size as the original tires, and the wire wheels are specifically for this cadillac. Has the car shifted somehow? Any other way to mount these skirts without using the rod on the skirt? F Ploger

TJ Hopland

Was the gap between the skirt and the original tires the same on both sides?   Guessing its not and the new tires are just a slightly different offset so its causing a problem?   It would seem unlikely presuming low mileage but do the drums look matched?

Does this car appear to sit at the proper ride height and appear to sit level and square?   Does this have the rear air shocks?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

Is it possible the car was in a collision and not repaired exactly as original?   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Frankie,
Measure the new wheels.  Compare the measurement of the distance between the inside of the mounting flange to the inside (towards the center of the car) rim.  The measurement on the new wheels should be the same as the old wheels for them to fit properly. UNLESS (and you did not specify the size wheels and tires you bought) you have purposely bought taller and/or wider tires.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

John Bryan #21196

This is an old thread but I have the exact same problem; Tru-Spokes on American Classic tires and the skirts rub. I suspect the offset is to blame, as the tire size is identical to the previous set.

My car is a '67 Deville, and it does have air shocks.

I have a body man trimming the skirt flanges off, as it only needs a 1/4" or so to clear.

I should say that the folks at Motorspot, the Tru-Spoke dealer, were incredibly professional and delivered the order as promised. I haven't brought the problem to their attention yet.

dadscad

Are the new tires the same brand and size as the old set? Just because brand X fit and didn't rub doesn't mean brand y of the same size will fit. I've had that problem with my 63 CDV. I had a set of 235/75's of one brand that would not rub the skirts but a different brand would rub them in certain situations. The second brand were actually bigger tires than the first set I bought, and they were both 235's. Fortunately the tire store was willing to give me some credit on the bigger tires and I bought the same brand in 225/75's and didn't have that problem.

Also you might want to check the rear suspension arms and bushings, etc. They may be bent or worn enough to allow the axle housing to of shifted to one side enough to cause the tire to rub.

HTH, David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

I have seen the same issue with 235's on this era cars.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason