News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'60 Seville shakedown cruise

Started by David Greenburg, February 03, 2013, 03:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

I guess this is why we do shakedown drives.  Although I've had this car for several weeks, until today I'd only driven it on short drives, mostly on suburban secondary roads.  Today I took it out for 100 mile roundtrip cruise on US 101.  I'm pretty sure the car has not been driven much in the last few years, and I was kind of expected something to act up, and it did.  About 20 miles out, the a/c compressor clutch froze up.  I was able to pop  off the fried a/c belt using a wrench as a pry bar and continue on my way.  I kept thinking I smelled a hint of antifreeze, which got stronger toward the end of the drive, when I closed the windows.  Back in the garage, I find that the carpet on the passenger side toeboard is damp with AF.  The source appears to be on the firewall, just to the right  of the transmission hump.  I have to assume this is the heater core.  Is there anything else it could be?

Otherwise, the car ran great, although at $4.00 a gallon I need to learn to go easy on the tri-power.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

76eldo

Working the bugs out.  Yes, heater core for sure. You can bypass it under the hood temporarily. Sounds like the compressor needs a rebuild too.

But if the tri power is working well that's a big bonus. Just too much fun to keep your foot out of it though.

Good luck.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day David,

Congratulations on getting home without too much trouble.

One thing about Heater Cores, they don't like sitting around for long periods without being used, and the same goes for the Radiator.

When you get the Heater Core out, get the Radiator Pressure-checked as well, just to be on the safe side.

Did you have the AC on when it seized up?   If not, then it could just be the "free-running" bearing that has frozen.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dplotkin

Especially since the original A5 compressor used on Cadillacs from 58-61 are semi-hermetic and at least as of today, non-rebuildable.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

David Greenburg

I'll go ahead and bypass the heater for now; don't really need it anyway. That will enable me to stop the water damage and give me an excuse to address the surface rust on the floorboards.  This car has been babied for much of its life, but most of that was on the East Coast.  I'll need to check into the a/c compressor.  The original unit blew out during a pre-purchase inspection, and the seller supposedly replaced it with a newer used unit.

In response to Bruce, I think the a/c was on when it blew, although I din not intend for it to be on.  One thing I noticed during the drive yesterday is that the a/c lever would move by itself over time from the "Off" position to the middle of its range.  When the car is turned off, there is also a brief vacuum hiss, which I hadn't noticed before.  I must admit I'm pretty ignorant about a/c.  The '59 60S that upgraded from did not have a/c.   
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special