News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Eldo Tail Light Bezels

Started by caddy57eldo, February 05, 2013, 09:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddy57eldo

Hello,  I'm looking for some help before getting my tail light bezels re-chromed.  The outer rim of my tail light bezels is chrome, but the inner rim, which leads up to the plastic lens, is a matted finish.  I've seen other cars with bezels that were all chrome.  I don't think these bezels were re-chromed prior to me aquiring the car.  Can someone tell me what is correct?   

Thank you,

Glenn.

Quentin Hall

G'day Glen , I presume you are refering to a Seville or Biarritz and not a Brougham? The bezel should be shiney inside and out. I presume that like 90 % of  original bezels they were pitted inside and prior to replating, perhaps didn't get as much love in the polishing dept as they deserved. .  .?
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

caddy57eldo

Hi Quentin,  Yes it is a Biarritz.  The inside is not pitted as you had mentioned and it looks like it was intentionally done that way.  My chrome plater seems to think it was done that way also and pointed out the nickel "shadow" at the edges where the plastic lens would seat in the bezel.  I'm sure if it were due to lack of polishing he would have seen and mentioned that right away.  You mentioned a Brougham.  Would a tail light bezel on a Brougham had this type of finish on the inner portion of the bezel?

Quentin Hall

G'day Glenn, How about you post a pic so that we are not confusing what you are talking about. I have a 57 Biarritz and mine is all chromed (though pitted on the inside) and I have never seen any matted variations on other 57 Eldos like what you are talking about.
        Regards. Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: caddy57eldo on February 06, 2013, 11:23:37 PM
  You mentioned a Brougham.  Would a tail light bezel on a Brougham had this type of finish on the inner portion of the bezel?
As you can see on the picture, the Brougham is completely different.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Grant Owen

Hi Glenn, My 57 Eldorado has the original tail light Bezels which are still in very good condition they are shiny Chrome on the inside & outside although the original polishing is not as good in the inside as the outside.

Paul Tesone

Glen - I also have a 57 Eldo and I agree with Grant and Quentin . That "shadow" you refer to is more than likely a result of the plater not getting the new chrome to reach that far into the piece . I've been told that sometimes a custom made electrode "jig" is necessary to attract the chrome into deep recesses or odd curves in a piece . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

caddy57eldo

Hi Paul, Grant, and Quentin........Frome what you've all said, alone with two others I know, I'm convinced the bezels are all chrome for 57's.  One last question.....do you know if they did the same in 58?

Glenn.

Paul Tesone

Glenn - as far as I know , they were the same in 58 as in 57 ...... Paul CLC 36876