News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Your favorite rust killer?

Started by David Greenburg, February 06, 2013, 01:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

As a "buy and hold" kind of guy, its been many years (about 25) since I've had to deal with surface rust on floorboards.  Back then I was young and stupid and had no idea what I was doing, but I treated my '59 60S with a product called Extend that was some type of rust converter.  It held up fine.  After peeling back the carpet on my new '60 recently, I found . . . surprise . . . surface rust on the floorboards, aggravated by a leaking heater core.  I know I want to use a drill-mounted wire brush to get the worst of it off, but then what?  I know paint and coating technology have improved since the '80s.  What are people using these days?  POR-15 seems like the default, although it seems to have some detractors.   
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

C.R. Patton II

Hello David

Good to read about your 6437.

Considering how long you retain your vehicles might you evaluate the entire floor and trunk area for rust too? Long term you may want to replace the panels.

I look forward to learning about your car. Thanks
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

David Greenburg

C.R.:

Not sure I'll hang on to this one for 28 years like I did with the 60S, but I bought this car as a keeper, so I'll certainly be hunting rust in other places over time.  But I hope I'm not going to be replacing any panels any time soon.  No indication of any rust through anywhere; I just want to make sure it stays that way!
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

quadfins

After wirebrushing as much surface rust away as possible, I treated the areas with Ospho, which is, I think, phosphoric acid, and chemically neutralizes iron oxide. Then I brushed off the loose residue, and slathered on a thick layer of Rustoleum primer, followed by another glop of rustoleum gloss black. 

I did this on floorboards, trunk surfaces, inside doors and fenders, and generally any area that would not be normally visible.

Small parts were bead blasted first, then treated and painted.

I have no experience with POR or any other "official" rust product.

Fortunately for me, the car was from New Mexico, and had more dust than rust.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

lou-q

Ospho is what I use on rust here in South Florida and worked well on the surface rust on the floor boards of my 39.
It turns the metal black with little white fuzzies.
It takes paint very well .
I've been using it to treat steel in concrete that has spaulted for over 25 years.
The OSPHO turns the metal from iron oxide to iron phosphate.
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

David Greenburg

I think I'm going to go with Ospho, followed by a couple of coats of Zero Rust.  After doing a little research, this seems like its effective, less complicated prep than some of the alternatives, and less toxic as well.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Glen

I like Ospho also, but the problem I have had is that if I put it on thick enough to completely convert the iron it leaves a layer of white stuff on the surface that should be cleaned off before painting.  But if you use a wire brush you risk exposing fresh metal. 

So what I do now is paint the Ospho on with a brush and continue to agitate it with the brush for a while.  When I think it has done its job I then soak up the remaining Ospho so it does not form that white coating. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

David Greenburg

I brushed it on, rubbed it in with a red scotchbrite pad and then blotted the "puddles" with a rag.  It was getting dark, so I'm not sure how it will turn out, or whether I will get the white fuzzies, although the rusty spots were turning black.  It may have been too thin, but if so I'll do another coat tomorrow.  lt was very easy to work with and went on quickly.  Most of the day was spent using drill and wire wheels on the surface rust.  Fortunately it occurred to me to use sheet plastic to seal off the rest of the interior during that process because it made a huge mess.     
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville