News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Were the '56 Cadillac "ram air" air cleaners stainless?

Started by mechmitch, February 09, 2013, 03:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechmitch

I was refinishing my oil bath air cleaner top piece, the big twin scoop Cad/Olds type. After removing the paint on it, it looks almost like it's made of stainless steel. I even took a polishing wheel and some compound to part of it and it polished up fairly nice and left a heavy black residue on the pad. If this isn't stainless, is this some kind of galvanized finish?

Walter Youshock

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Quentin Hall

It's mild steel. Or at least every one I have ever seen has been. Sometimes people chrome plated them to dress up the engine bay, but the chrome would never last long around the edges so subsequently they repainted them . Perhaps your finding chrome under the newer paint.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

mechmitch

No, it was original paint and markings. I'd thought chrome too but it wouldn't have left residue on the polishing pad. Might be aluminum, I hadn't considered that. I'll hit it with a magnet when I get home