News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Will the 1950's Cadillacs decrease in value as we get older ?

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, October 19, 2011, 05:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis Smith

As a disclaimer, I am not trying to start any type of debate or be negative toward the hobby.  I am only posting my own personal observations and opinions.  With that said, allow me to continue.  While reading the story the Self Starter and the story that begins on page 8, it appears as though the owner has done some "modifying" of his 58 Cadillac.  Most noticeable are the wheels.  No I am no being critical at all.  Turning to page 15, there is a picture at the top of a line of beautiful Cadillacs of the past.  The 1964, second in from the right is also sporting custom wheels.  In the past, modifications such as these would have been met with resistance from other members.  Now it appears as these "modifications" are being welcomed, which by the way, I am in favor of.  My question is, "is this going to be the future of the hobby?"  Are individuals going to take 40+ years old Cadillacs, which are still on the road and reliable, and "update" them to make them more personal?  Sure there will be those that will want to restore them to their original state of being.  It just seems to me that more and more to accomplish this, one will need Jay Leno money to do this.  Any thoughts?  Oh yes, please note there are no Cadillacs in Jay Leno's Garage.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/

INTMD8

Well as you stated, there will always be original/restored original cars and there are still many purists that believe that's how they should remain, unmodified. 

While I don't share this viewpoint I understand it and do have a great appreciation for the original cars.

In terms of modified cars, I wouldn't say it's going to be the future of the hobby, rather a part of it that's always existed.

Unfortunately, many modified cars are rather distasteful (in my opinion).  A somewhat newer trend is to update a car mechanically while attempting to keep it as original looking as possible rather than wildly changing the original aesthetics.  This is the way I enjoy building cars.

Louis Smith

There is plenty of room in the hobby and club, for everyone and however they wish to maintain their pride and joy.  What I was pointing out was how more acceptable less then original cars are becoming more acceptable in the club.  I remember a time when "modified" cars were looked down with great disdain.

gary griffin

The cars produced today are designed by computers with no imagination rather than Artists with imagination and what I call Flair. I see beauty in all of  the cars more than 30 years old even the seemingly homely cars like Hudson and Nash.  I love the authenticity and looks of my 1942 Cadillac and I also like the looks of a 1942 Cadillac in Oregon that looks stock but is a completely modern car with late model Cadillac running gear.

I have Jay Leno taste in cars but not his budget. If I had the space and budget I would have A carriage from the 1800's and a choice car from each decade.

As to value of collector cars as long as the economy is stable our cars will retain value but great changes (Remember the housing bubble) in the economy will be reflected by the changes in value of luxury and discretionary things like art (Old cars are art to me).  After the revolution of 1917 Russians were trading classic art for wheat for example.

The value is in how we personally feel about our cars, the price at some future date is of no real importance. I hope my kids someday determine the prices of my cars and I will continue to enjoy the real value and joy of having vehicles from the past whilst I may'

Gary Griffin
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

C.R. Patton II

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen

To address the topic question first I believe the Cadillac premium vehicles from the fifties will appreciate in value.  The high production common vehicles will not.

I think the economy and oil prices will determine future members into our club but the evolution of automotive design will always attract our eyes.

Personally I'm trying to figure out how why some of you are driving a Cadillac instead of LaSalle. Happy motoring.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

INTMD8

Quote from: C.R. Patton II on February 12, 2013, 12:48:53 PM

Personally I'm trying to figure out how why some of you are driving a Cadillac instead of LaSalle.

That ones easy, I'm not a great gentleman!

INTMD8

^^ While I agree that things aren't the best they could be right now I think you are being a bit dramatic, especially considering the scope of this thread.

JMO

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's an indicator of future values in all aspects 2013 and beyond.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500