News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1974 ELDO convt. trunk lid pull down

Started by Viator Trudeau, February 12, 2013, 05:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

Trunk lid pull down,pulls down,But wont release W/ the inside button. The unit does one rev.per lock and unlock. Lid wont pop up but re-locks.  Might be an adjustment but info is in the body manual.  Any ideas.
Viator Trudeau  #8697

bigdave

I have had this problem on past vehicles. There are a couple ways to address this. The simple way is to adjust the trunk latch to close just a bit tighter. This will give you a more pop when you press the release button. If you cant do this without making the deck lid visibly to low, then move the support springs to the next groove (if your car has them). I think the most common cause of this problem is the shrinking of the weatherstrip or maybe the support springs getting weak. I hope this helps.Good luck, Dave
'65 Eldorado
'67 Calais
'81 Coupe deVille
'03 CTS

Viator Trudeau

To Big Dave on lid pull down.  On the left side I raised the torson bar two notches ( top slot)  RT. side has only one,  and I also added 1/2" round  pvc  as extra shim.  Didn't help.  I am missing something !!!  I have raised the unit but that did not have any effect.  Am stumped!!   Any other ideas.
Viator Trudeau # 8697   I have the general S  M , what I need is in the body sheet metal suppliment

bigdave

Viator, sorry my advice did not work. When you open the trunk with the key does it have any pop or is it soft? When you lift it does it feel heavier than it should?
'65 Eldorado
'67 Calais
'81 Coupe deVille
'03 CTS

Viator Trudeau

big dave-----My '91 Brougham auto trunk ---the lid goes up very fast.  The '74 unit is 6 or 7 inches sq.  The '91 system is very much simplified,W/ motor mounted on lid none of that motorized gear box.   Thanks for responding.
Viator Trudeau  #8697

76eldo

Isn't the release and the pull down two different items?  Does the release click when you push the button?

A common problem on some models is the release pops, but the trunk doesn't come up much and the pull down pulls it back down.  Is that the problem?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Viator Trudeau

To 76 eldo;;;;   Exactly, the release pops but lid does not spring up, and pull down re-locks it. 
Thanks for responding.  Viator

Scot Minesinger

If possible put all items back as they were originally adjusted and replace trunk gasket.  That should provide the spring force up so that it does not re-lock.  You can check this by having someone pull up on the trunk, and then activate release button.  If trunk goes up, then this is a very likely good solution.  Almost everything rubber is no good on a 40 year old car.  Probably a good idea to start replacing rubber items to prevent problems like this.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Viator Trudeau

On the trunk there is new rubber gasket.  There is a rod that is pushed up an retracts for one complete cycle---I am told the rod is what pushes the lid up.  I do not see where the rod contacts with any part of the lid???

Viator Trudeau

Hello all.  I had help today------Trunk was locked, helper pushed release button in car while I lifted lid.  Lid does not unlock???   I think the part of the latch bolted to the lid is the wrong one.  Guy I bought the car from must have changed it.  Buyers beware on cars from Graigslist.

TJ Hopland

So this must be the first year for the electric pull down?  So this was used 74-77?  78?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

Viator,

Are you able to open the trunk with the key? 

If so then the release mechanism is some how not connected to the latch. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Viator Trudeau

Hello Glen;   After a lot of looking it seems the pull down is not compatable W/ the psrt on the lid.Works fine W/ key to unlock.  pull down W/ rod bale grabs the latch which is the first half of the cycle.  The second half of the cycle is the up strke and the rod comes up out of the housing but theres nothing to contact on the lid.  Even if there was the hook does not rotate away from the bale.  I think the part on the lid has been changed???     PS Glen have you seen my hub cap delima?  You have had a lot of experience  W/ eldo wheels.  Hi hesitate to remove the other 3 caps if I have the same trouble as the ist cap.

J. Skelly

Viator,

Read the emails I sent you.  I just re-registered my ID to use the Forum.  This time I received an activation email.

Jim Skelly
CLC #15958
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Viator Trudeau

Hello:  To everyone who replied to my auto trunk lid problem, thanks for your input and advice.  I just found out from MR. Skelly s pictures that the upper half of the system is missing from the lid unit .  It was removed at some previous time by an owner.  System wont work W/O it.

Viator Trudeau

J. Skelly

For any of you who are having difficulties with the trunk pull down units on '71-'78 Eldorados, here are a couple of drawings out of the 1977 Fisher Body Manual.
If you suspect parts are missing from the system, maybe this will help.  The clarity is not the same as digital photos with proper lighting, but all of the components are named.  I never had a problem with the unit on my '71 Eldorado, but the one on my '77 quit working a few years ago when the rod that pushes up the trunk lid got slightly bent.  After several attempts at straightening out the rod without success, I swapped out the entire unit from a high school classmate's '76 that he was junking.  If you are getting power to the unit, it might be out of adjustment.  Make sure the terminals are clean and have tight connections.  Please post specific issues here and I (and others) will advise.     
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

J. Skelly

The other attachment didn't post, so here it is.  :o
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

TJ Hopland

71-73? is a mechanical system that uses a shock like device that rides on a cam on the right hinge.  That shock like device is then connected to the pull down mechanism with a cable.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

J. Skelly

T.J.,

I forgot about the switch in the mechanism.  I haven't had my '71 in 27 years and it was somewhat different from the later ones.  I'd have to look it up in a collision guide since I don't have a Master Parts book.  Someone privately emailed me for information on these systems.  My '68 has the cable system.  Thanks for the reminder!
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)