News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Eldorado Trim Tag

Started by gregm, February 13, 2013, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregm

Every reference source I have come across say the vinyl top is a 1 digit code...

So what does the 65 after the paint code mean? Brown(5)? Saddle (6)?

And the -K after trim code?

And whats the deal with 06A? Sixth week of Jan? SIXTH WEEK!?!?
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Dave Shepherd

Greg, try this link. http://www.tpocr.com/cadillacbp8.html, K I believe is leather, color on roof is black vinyl. You can compute the production run date.  Dave

Shorty64cad

I think 06A means the first week of June.

Greg.
Greg Short.  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
Member No. 26803
1969 Eldorado

Davidinhartford

As for the vinyl top code:  The prefex 6 is on all  1968 cars with a vinyl top. The second # is the top code.

So your color is #5

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Greg,
All 68's had a 6 in front of the top code. Read it as just a 5.  Dark Brown vinyl. 485 is antique saddle.
It's the K that has me stumped. I have a K data plate but the interior of the car was gone when I found it. I thought it was a mistake where the worker hit the wrong key. I feel that L is for maximum leather. R is for RH recliner. Anyone else seen a K code?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Davidinhartford

gregm

Quote from: Dave Shepherd on February 13, 2013, 08:36:59 PMK I believe is leather  Dave

That would make sense as it has a leather interior and as other post indicated a dark brown roof, so the roof prefix 6 is meaningless on a 68.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

If you or someone looks at that car, try to figure out what the K might mean.
Bob

Davidinhartford

Here is my 68 Eldorado's body plate.   Same 485 code, but no K.    My car has the saddle color leather.  No headrests, no buckets, no recliner.

And my vinyl top is Sandalwood Beige.

Jeff Maltby 4194

My 69 eldo plate.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

gregm

Quote from: David Smith on February 14, 2013, 06:58:43 AM
Here is my 68 Eldorado's body plate.   Same 485 code, but no K.    My car has the saddle color leather.  No headrests, no buckets, no recliner.And my vinyl top is Sandalwood Beige.

Really? Leather interior but no K? So what does that mean?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Greg, You are getting some good & some misleading info here. Please reread  my responses.
The K has NOTHING to do with leather. The trim code itself denotes what the material is.
HTH, Bob

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Here's a couple Eldo data plates. One has the K. Both slick top cars that NO longer exist. Sad.
Bob

djohnson

The "K" indicates headrests on 68 cars. 

Davidinhartford

I've read the Data Book over and over.      The only suffix it mentions is the letter B if it has bucket seats.   Which were only available in black and sandalwood,  451 and 482 respectfully.   Code R which is for recliner and headrests.

The only other variation on seats is maximum leather, but no code is mentioned.  Just a reference to a change in the bolster number.  See link: http://modified.hostnexus.com/documents/1960s/1968/1968%20Data%20Book/tn/68%20Data%20Book-86.jpg.html

djohnson

"K" Indicates headrests.....could be headrests with recliner...but it is for headrests
it could be that the headrests were part of a package but all the "K"s that i have seen
had headrests...........The mystery continues

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

OK guys,
Now we're making progress. djohnson says all the cars he's seen with head rests have a K. The car in question has head rests & a K. I feel that K is the code for head rests. I have no idea why they didn't use an H.  It is not part of a package.  However, if you order recliner, code R, you automatically get head rests.
Enclosed is another data plate with an L. I think that's for maximum leather. I seem to remember that interior was already gone. This car no longer exists.
HTH, Bob

Dave Shepherd

Right on the headrests, called a co-worker of mine from my Cadillac days and he has the production code info from back then.  Well done picking this up, all.

gregm

Quote from: djohnson on February 15, 2013, 06:56:50 AM
The "K" indicates headrests on 68 cars.

Ding, ding, ding...give that man a prize! The plate is off a 68 with leather and headrests...did not even notice that until you mentioned it...so K is definitely headrests which explains why Dave's tag is without it.

Jeff Maltby 4194

My 67 plate.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500