News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Fuel Gauge Problem

Started by idaholc, February 17, 2013, 11:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idaholc

I recently purchased a barn fresh '59 series 62 coupe that had been sitting for 25 years.  I removed the gas tank and had it cleaned and lined.  I replaced the existing sending unit with new gasket and reinstalled the tank.  The fuel gauge needle now is pegged past full when ignition is on.   There is only a couple of gallons of gas in the unit.  Any tips on how to check gauge and sender?  I do not relish dropping that tank again and wrestling with the filler spout, straps, etc.  I guess replacing the gauge would be the easiest check, but I would hate to ruin another gauge if I shorted something out at the sender or something.

B. Goodnight

jeremy9146

Well Bill I'm afraid that there is a short in the wire coming from the sending unit and you'll probably have to drop the tank again.  If the gauge didn't peg before you removed the tank and replaced the sender chances are the gauge is ok.  Let us know what you find. 

Jeremy Weiss
Jeremy Weiss Bridgewater, NJ
Current collection of Cadillac’s
1953 Eldorado
1959 Eldorado Biarritz

Dave Shepherd

Actually a full tank reading usually indicates an open circuit. wire is disconnected or cut somwhere.

Scot Minesinger

Before dropping tank again (I Know what a pain, just did it on my Caddy) check ground.  Car electrical grounding is not always straightforward.  Is it possible the new gasket insulated the ground?  If there is anyway you can check the wire from gauge to sender is good that may prevent dropping the tank.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

Grounding is highly suspect.  Try grounding that wire fro the gauge to the tank.  If the gauge drops
to empty, the problem is an open circuit at the tank end.  Usually tank units have a ground wire so
as not to depend on random metal contact.  Try just grounding the tank before pulling it.  I once
drilled a little hole in a folded over tank corner, bolted on a ground wire, and used it that way for
the life of the car.  good luck, Bruce Roe

idaholc

The more I think about it, grounding could be the issue.  After I took the tank out and had it cleaned and lined I painted it with POR15 and used exhaust wrap to mechanically cushion the straps from the tank (1" rolled strips).  So there may not be a good ground.  I will ground it and see what happens to the gauge.  I will keep you all posted, hopefully to provide some satisfaction for correct advice.  I am currently out of town and won't be able to check till mid-week.

Blade

Bill,

This post might also be helpful for you, another owner had the same problem and wrote up a pretty nice guide on how to repair it:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=120183.0

Regards,
-Tibor