News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Help with Increasing Picture Size without Losing Picture Quality Software Progra

Started by Mark Goodwin, February 17, 2013, 01:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Goodwin

Help with Increasing Picture Size without Losing Picture Quality

Recently a friend of mine sent me several pictures via e-mail. All the pictures are excellent in quality, except they are thumbnail size. When I tried to blow them up the quality of the picture clarity is greatly reduced to a fuzzy mess.

Does anyone know of a software program, preferably free or very reasonable, that will allow me to resize these pictures and still keep quality images?

I have seen several individuals here on the board, take pictures posted and improved them immensely as far as quality and clarity is concerned. So I'm hoping to do the same with these thumbnail pictures.

Mark
Mark Goodwin, Kewanee, Illinois.
From the Time You're Born, Until You Ride in the Hearse, There's Nothing so Bad, That It Can Be Worse

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Mark,

From what I can gather, once the images have been reduced in size, unless you have the original on your own computer, they cannot be enlarged without the problems you have encountered.

Simply, what the reducing does is remove the "superfluous" pixels to allow the image to be visible in a smaller size, but going the other way, there is no computer in the world that knows what colour or shape is missing when it is enlarged.

If an affordable computer was made that could do that, then the maker would become an instant Billionaire.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ross Morgan #22943

Mark / Bruce

There is software that does this.  From what I understand (and it's what I do) most people use Adobe Photoshop.  There is now also a stand alone software package that does exactly this (ie, enlarge plus lots of other things) called "Perfect Resize 7.5" ($149 retail).  The tutorials are here http://www.ononesoftware.com/learn/training/video/category/perfect-resize-7-5/

I use both. What do they do? They use an algorithm that increases the file size and fills in the pixels (so on enlarging, you don't get the "boxes"). It's fantastic technology and if you want to enlarge a print, they work really well. I've got prints blown up to 4' x 3' in size and they look great.

BUT, BUT, BUT an original photograph, with hi-res and enlarged is much sharper VERSUS a photoshopped or Perfect Resize 'd low-res photo - the latter is good but it doesn't get it back to original - it's simply not as sharp. I hope that makes sense.

Regards, Ross.

Makandriaco

Both answers are right in their own way. Yes, there is some software that interpolates missing pixels, anti-aliass the result, blur the blown up pixels, and many other techniques; so after enlarging the picture you do not get a pixelated one. But, as Bruce said, there can't be any magic and the software can't really know what information is missing, so if you have a "thumbnail" which by definition is a very very small version of the photo, you will not get a good larger one regardless of the computer or software you are using, at best, you will get a blurred version of it.
1959 Series 62 4 Window Sedan

Always loved Cadillacs.

Art Director

Quote from: Ross Morgan #22943 on February 17, 2013, 08:49:18 PM
Mark / Bruce

There is software that does this.  From what I understand (and it's what I do) most people use Adobe Photoshop.  There is now also a stand alone software package that does exactly this (ie, enlarge plus lots of other things) called "Perfect Resize 7.5" ($149 retail).  The tutorials are here http://www.ononesoftware.com/learn/training/video/category/perfect-resize-7-5/

I use this Photoshop plug-in for some photos that appear in The Self-Starter. There is a limit to how far you can enlarge in Perfect Resize (depends on the size and resolution of the original photo) but the program has enabled many photos to publish in the magazine that otherwise would have not, because the photos were not large enough for print.

The results of resizing in Photoshop by itself still brings pixilation to the photos. I agree with Ross and highly recommend Perfect Resize.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

veesixteen

I have had moderate success using PhotoShop CS5 to increase smallish images by up to 50% without then getting too FUZZY. But there's no miracle solution!
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"