News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Floor for 60 Coupe

Started by Hayden P, February 06, 2013, 06:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

There you go Hayden, that's how you do it properly. Bloody Kiwis always have to climb Everest or achieve higher than everyone else. . .   (To Grant, Very nice work Grant, I take it you had that body on a rottiserie to achieve those fabulous results?)
1. You can see Grant has butt welded the pans in (ie end to end) which requires exacting cutting accuracy and welding skill.  If you are leaving the body on the chassis you may  find it harder to achieve butt welding as you can't easily get a hammer and dolly in to constantly massage the two edges together prior to tacking, or to grind the welds down smooth on the underside once completed.  ( Not sure if Grant has used Gas, a MIG or a TIG there. He's cleaned it up too neatly.)  If you are beginner I'd suggest a Mig .6 to .8 wire. 
     If you are NOT putting on a rottisserie and/or not a proficient welder I would suggest you overlap 10/12mm rather than butt weld (chime in if you want Grant) as it allows you put a decent weld on without blowing thru the other side. You will be welding from the inside of the car, downwards.     

2. Your underfloor braces may well be ok. They are a heavier gauge steel and usually survive as they don't fill with water or st with wet carpet like the pans. Time to check is now though.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Hayden P

QH...

I am doing bdy off frame. Hopefully going to buy a rotis. I am not a welder... but brother in law is going to help out here.

Was wondering - IF the braces are toast... are those Chev ones compatible... I assume so as floor is same. I have contacted eBay seller. Postage isnt too bad on floor pans required.

PS... if you are ever in Vic... please come and visit... check out progress on the Caddy !

Quentin Hall

I was born in Melb in Preston/Reservoir ish and have quite a few rellies down there.  I am a Brissie boy now but seem to be spending way too much time in Perth working these days. You can tell I'm bored afterwork cos I can sit on the forum twiddling thumbs ( I need one of my  cars over here to tinker on) . Check out your braces first. I have seen quite a few rotten floors but not too many rotted braces. They will be harder to post unless they cut them in half and yes the floor braces are the same. Personally, looking at your floors I'd say that your braces will be OK. If your floors were all gone I'd say you'ld need them. Get underneath and bang with a ball-peen hammer.   
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Hayden P

Yep... Maybe I will just order the 6 floor pan panels initially.

Still stripping the car down... Then off to media blaster... Once we separate body from frame.

We will really know what we are up against once it's back from blaster ... Then the real work will begin.

Thanks again for your assistance !

Hayden P

6 pans ordered and paid for !

MIG welder on stand-by.... :-X

Fingers crossed !!!!