News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Comments on 57 Biarritz

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, February 18, 2013, 08:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I'm sure you 57 guys can see some other incorrect things.    http://palmbeachauction.com/OpenAuto2/listings.php?make=Cadillac&model=Eldorado-Biarritz&id=265
Whitewalls a "little" too wide.
Dog eared owners manual but hey it's the one that came with the car. LOL 
And of course the made up mfg. plate.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bob,

It appears that the leather and dash grain are not correct. It should be "Cape Buffalo" grain and it could be a "biggie" in points judging. The raised deck lid could be something as simple as the Micro Switch in the pull down mechanism. If this is the car (body No.1) advertised a while ago, it was in tough shape and things like the door sticker could have been missing. Non-the-less a bit more care could have been taken in the reproduction. I'm not certain about the bent pipe on the compressor but I believe that was copper and not painted. Even with those nits to pick, I'd love to have it in my garage. It will be interesting to see what it brings at auction.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Quentin Hall

Gee Bob, You know my 57 Biarritz love affair is blind, so I wouldn't have a hard time putting this one in my shed at all. All looks pretty good to me. What's the beef? Even the door tag looks like my 57 Biarritz one. I have a photo of the chassis and eng vin on my comp at home from the ebay listing 5 years ago it was 5762000001 . It had 58 hash tags and 60 taillights and a continental kit that have thankfully been removed. it was advertised a year later still unfinished but restoration had begun. At 75k and I still loved it. Floors looked good.
     Brougham had narrow WWs but standard was 3 1/2 weren't they? These might be touching 4 inches. Air cond pipe is just like that on mine. Looks like it has the correct buffalo grain on seats . Cape Buffalo and smooth grain was used. Dash has grain.
    It was advertised on ebay unrestored and everyone bagged it but heck they all look the same when you take their clothes off.
    Probably only thing I can see jumping out is the fancy chromed dual quad lug nuts. 4 are used when the standard 57 Eldos (ie not Brougham) only used 2 fancy ones and two ordinary  wingnuts. I could live with the upgrade to four though.
     I saw a restored triple Elysian green Biarritz at Hill and Vaughn in Calif in the early 90s and it was  FW #2.
    Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Walter Youshock

The photos aren't the best but it does look to me as though the dash pad is the Buffalo grain as well as the seat insert leather.  The carpeting doesn't seem to be quite right.  I think it should be a bit thicker pile.

Under the hood--the lettering on the power steering reservoir cover should not be painted; the brake booster is not correctly painted and is missing the "inspection" paint daub; it looks as though it has the block-lettered valve covers.  This being car #1, it fell under the early engine production that had the early valve train carried over from '56.  Early '57's I've seen have the "Cadillac" script valve covers.  Also, the very early '57's supposedly had an additional chrome strip at the cowl.  This was eliminated very early in the production run as per the "Serviceman".  This car should have it if it is car #1.  There should be a paint notice on the glovebox door.  And, yes, the whitewalls are way too wide.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

David King (kz78hy)

I noticed the accelerator pedal is missing the chrome bezel.  Another minor thing, but the car is being marketed as a high end unit.  It is those kind of details that separate the truly well done cars from the just really good ones.

My opinion.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

C.R. Patton II

Hello Gentlemen

This is not my era of expertise but I enjoy your commentary.

I think this is a vehicle that was on display at our CLCMRC event in Hickory Corners this past September 2012. The presenters were a father/son team.

It's not a LaSalle but I could find room in my stable.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Chris Conklin

Any truth to the rumor that all number one Eldorados were green cars? Just curious, don't know where I heard that.
Chris Conklin

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Chris,

I don't know that all of them were, but light-medium metallic green phographs well in B&W. It looks like medium pearl gray and provides a great backdrop for the crhome.

Ralph
2018 GMC Yukon

Quentin Hall

Tell the new owner to fly me out on his private jet and I'll bring a spare accelerator SS cover , 2 x $2 air cleaner wingnuts and some black paint to paint out the power steering cover and put a paint dawb on the booster ( we can discuss the rocker covers and the missing chrome at the cowl if he/she wants) . . . but only if he/she takes me for a spin around the block and lets me keep the spare fancy aircleaner wingnuts.
         It's still a very special car for what it is so I am happy to relinquish some steadfast authenticity in the name of gushy, youthful, over-enthusiasm of perhaps what is my all-time favourite Cadillac.   
         To be the first 1957 Cadillac chassis and first Biarritz rolled into one is utopia.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Q,
No beef, just comments. I wouldn't mind that car in my garage either, but time for reality. LOL That car has lots of incorrect details. You would think that someone spending that kind of $ on a restoration would do some research. Overly wide whitewalls is usually just the most obvious  of the errors. When the paint isn't even dry on the car & it's already for sale... That tells the real intent of the restoration.  And by a dealer to boot!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Ahhh!..... I just love the smell of thinners at an auction

Ralph
2018 GMC Yukon

Bill Caddyshack

Window crank on the door. I thought that the standard features included power windows and power vent windows. I know the '58 had these as standard. The car obviously has the power windows, note 4 switches on driver's side.

Quentin Hall

Wing vents on 57 * were manual winders.
* 57 Broughams had first electric vents.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Frank Nicodemus

The overall view of the engine is excellent.  There are a few items that are questionable, such as the valve covers on the engine appear to be darker in color than the bat wing air filter assembly.  I am unable to see the a/c compressor final test OK CAD decal.

The ID tag serial numbers are not consistent â€" they appear to be stamped and not engraved and the numbers are not straight, they are wavy. The trunk locking mechanism is obviously not working correctly â€" the trunk lid is not in its closed position.

The oil filter housing is missing its decal.
The view of the front end of the car â€" there is a mis-alignment between the hood and the left front fender.   The gap is not consistent with the one on the right side. 

My office contacted the Hollywood Car Auctions in West Palm Beach.  We were told that the reserve is going to be between $600,000 - $700,000.  In my opinion, that is too high of a number.  It may not bring that anticipated number.

In consideration of the car itself, it looks like a beautiful job with a lot of engine compartment detail.

Frank Nicodemus
Frank Nicodemus Classics and Antiques

Sincerely,
Frank Nicodemus

Frank Nicodemus

SOLD! $590,000.00!

Frank Nicodemus
Sincerely,
Frank Nicodemus

Louis Smith

Quote from: Frank Nicodemus on March 24, 2013, 01:09:43 PM
SOLD! $590,000.00!

Frank Nicodemus

Still any doubts that classic car collecting, is becoming more of a rich man's game?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Louis Smith on March 24, 2013, 01:49:13 PM
Still any doubts that classic car collecting, is becoming more of a rich man's game?

That depends on what the classic car is. Lots of very respectable examples of Cadillacs are available well within the working man's budget. All the same, nigh of $600K for a '57 Ritz is insane- IMHO. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Louis Smith

Quote from: ericdev                                                #8621 on March 24, 2013, 02:24:23 PM
That depends on what the classic car is. Lots of very respectable examples of Cadillacs are available well within the working man's budget. All the same, nigh of $600K for a '57 Ritz is insane- IMHO.

I agree.  20+ year old Cadillacs are still readily available, and at very reasonable prices.  Many times their cost is lower then the tax on a brand new Cadillac.  While I would greatly appreciate having a Cadillac of that age, how many others feel the same way.  Since you mention the "working man", I still feel the present state of our economy and inflation, is making it more difficult for the average working man to have the joy of owning a older Cadillac.

Jon S

I'm surprised that nobody commented on the total botch job they did on the dash cover where it meets the lower dash around the speedometer pad - HORRIBLE!  I blew it up on my iphone and the workmanship is God awful!

The oil Change plastic with the Engine Number is a reproduction.  The letters should be straight and indented as mentioned previously.

The carpet vinyl insert is incorrect as is the carpeting with the multi-pieces - The original carpet was a one piece fitted carpet.

The 3rd picture shows the factory floor mats - I posted them because the expensive reproductions are not shaped the same.  This does not apply to the Eldorado sold as it had no floor mats.

I've attached photos of what the above should look like:

. . . and this went for $590,000?

Jon
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Louis Smith

Quote from: Jon S on March 24, 2013, 03:29:14 PM
I'm surprised that nobody commented on the total botch job they did on the dash cover where it meets the lower dash around the speedometer pad - HORRIBLE!  I blew it up on my iphone and the workmanship is God awful!

The oil Change plastic with the Engine Number is a reproduction.  The letters should be straight and indented as mentioned previously.

The carpet vinyl insert is incorrect as is the carpeting with the multi-pieces - The original carpet was a one piece fitted carpet.

The 3rd picture shows the factory floor mats - I posted them because the expensive reproductions are not shaped the same.  This does not apply to the Eldorado sold as it had no floor mats.

I've attached photos of what the above should look like:

. . . and this went for $590,000?

Jon

......and cars of this less then original quality, is the reason that prices are going through the roof, and out of the reach of most people.