News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 6109 Rubber question

Started by VooDoo, February 19, 2013, 12:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VooDoo

I am trying to figure out what I need for a couple areas and the person I spoke with over at steele wasnt sure which or what I needed. So I am turning to the true experts ;) 

1.) Is there a rubber gasket that goes between the body and the chrome headlight trim piece?
2.) On the inside of the fenders in the engine compartment there are 4 holes One the hood support goes in but the others there is nothing just open holes. Are there some sort of rubber bumbers that go in there to keep the hood from going past or staying level with the fenders when shut?
3.) On my crowl on the drivers side below the top area where the weatherstriping goes there are 2 places where 2sets of screws are. Was there a rubber piece that went there as well? these are only on the drivers side not the passenger side.

Any one got a picture of the engine compartment showing what rubber goes where? I am just shooting in the dark. I'm sure as I am starting to button this thing up I will come across more stuff so i thank you for your help. You guys are always a wealth of knowledge.  Thanks
Andy Fulenwider
1937 75 Series Convertible
1947 62 Series Custom Project

Steve Passmore

There's no rubber around the headlight bezel or door as its called but there is one between the bucket inside and the fender.  I don't understand what you mean about holes in the inside of the fenders? there's no hole for a hood support as the springs make it self supporting.  There are wedge shaped rubbers that the hood sits into though.
There was no rubber where the screw recesses are on your cowl, these screws are holding a bracket that's for dash support as I recall as all the weight of the dash is on the drivers side.  Show some pictures of the areas your concerned about.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

VooDoo

You are right I miss spoke about the hood support. It was the bracket holding the fender to the body. So there are wedge supports that go in those other hole? I think I have seen those online but not on steeles new website I thought I saw them there before the update. I do know they are on rockautos site so I'll check those out. Thanks for the insight on the chrome headlight door. I can button that stuff up now ;) I am having trouble uploading pics at the moment. But I think you answered those question right on the money. And you are right about those screws, they do hold that dash bracket.  Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
Andy Fulenwider
1937 75 Series Convertible
1947 62 Series Custom Project

Doug Houston

Quote from: S Passmore on February 19, 2013, 03:40:07 PM
There's no rubber around the headlight bezel or door as its called but there is one between the bucket inside and the fender.  I don't understand what you mean about holes in the inside of the fenders? there's no hole for a hood support as the springs make it self supporting.  There are wedge shaped rubbers that the hood sits into though.
./quote]

There is a gasket that goes between thew headlight outer housing (bucket). I supplied Lynn Steele with a factory gasket in then years before he moved to the Carolinas. He did have it in his catalogue.

Now, there is supposed to be a rubber sealer in the headlight door, with a spring wire molded in it. That piece is the seal that keeps water from entering the headlight bucket around the sealed beam unit. Steele did offer them at one time. They're on the headlight doors for all cars. I have a '41 Chevrolet and a '41 Oldsmobile, and they have the headlight door seals.

Now, I'm sort of shooting in the dark here, but there originally was a rubber coated fabric filler piece that was stapled to the inner fender, and held to the frame wirh some special wire clips. You rarely see these filler aprons on the cars,because they rot away.  I had bought new front fenders for my 41-60S from Cadillac Parts in 1958. They had the rubber filler pieces on them.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929