News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Cadillac Windshield Washer Removal Your Thoughts

Started by 47caddydaddy, February 12, 2013, 12:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47caddydaddy

Hi looking for opinions here. I am working on my 47 Caddy stripping it down to go to the paint shop. I removed the wiper towers and that got me thinking. Why not just remove the washer components altogether? I will only be taking the car to shows and cruises and will never be out in bad weather. Always have glass cleaner and paper towels on board. I'm really leaning towards just taking out the vacuum & water lines and the entire washer unit attached to the firewall(which btw is missing the glass jar). What's the consensus, will this hurt the value or collectability of my car??
Thanks,
Bob

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I can't see it hurting the value of the car as long as everything is removed. If you don't use the car in bad weather, you don't really need it.

I suspect that they were troublesome when they were new and afforded an opportunity for vacuum leaks to upset your smooth idle.

The only downside would be that the car would no longer agree 100% with the build sheet, if anyone were to get the sheet.

I personally wouldn't care.

Bill Ingler #7799

In my opinion it would be better to keep as much of the windshield washer assembly with the car as you can. Now if you pulled the present washer you have 6 empty holes to look at in the firewall, plus if you remove the nozzles from the wiper transmission you will need to find plug screws to fill the holes. Washer bottles do at times come up for sale and they are not cheap. Now if you do remove all components of the washer, what do you bet that you will then find a washer bottle. Never fails to happen.  Have fun    Bill

Paul Tesone

Bob - doesn't your state require yearly inspection stickers ? In order to get mine , windshield wipers must function properly . Paul Tesone ....CLC # 6876

The Tassie Devil(le)

Nothing worse than having to really want to use the washers when you need them, and realising that they aren't there, or don't work.

I can recall driving down the road, and even though the weather was fine and dandy, getting targeted by a flock of birds with diarrhea, and not being able to immediately stop to enable a quick clean.

A quick squirt of water, well, almost an emptying of the reservoir to get rid of the mess and many wipes of the wipers, was sufficient, allowing me to safely continue.

Without the feature, I still would have been able to eventually pull over, spying through the various clear spots, and stop, but nothing to clean off the mess, apart from my trusty handkerchief.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

A. Amman #15293

Have you tried McVey's Cadillac and LaSalle parts for a washer bottle?  They used to carry them.  Google for their site.
I agree with Bill and would keep the system intact and stock unless you are building a street rod of some sort.

Anthony #15293