News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Dad's '57 Eldorado

Started by salguod, February 23, 2013, 04:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salguod

Hello all,

I've signed up here because of my father's 1957 Eldorado Biarritz.  My grandfather bought the car in 1959 as the family car and my Mom and Dad dated in it.  It's been in the family all but the first 2 years of its life.

Perhaps 17-18 years ago Grandpa had a cosmetic restoration done.  Nothing was done to the interior but the body work and paint were done and the rear bumpers were re-chromed (maybe other chrome work as well) and the mechanicals were brought back to life.  The car had sat in storage, sometimes outside, for as long as I can remember before that.  After it's restoration, it was on display in the Auburn, Cord and Duesenberg museum in Auburn, IN until my Grandfather passed.

My Dad inherited the car about 15 years ago and moved it into climate controlled storage in Toledo, OH.  It's sat there pretty much ever since.  It's been started a few times, but never really driven.

Each year Dad and I talk about getting the car back out and going again, but have never found the time.  I'm determined to do so this year.  I've signed up here so I can perhaps learn a bit and have access to some help once spring comes and we tackle making her road worthy again.

I come from 3 generations of car nuts. In addition to the Eldorado, Grandpa had a '37 Cord 812 Phaeton (it had also been on display at the ACD museum) and a 1960 Thunderbird Convertible, now in my garage, and a 1956 Thunderbird, now in my Dad's.

I've attached a couple of older pictures of the Caddy, from shortly after the restoration.  I believe this is called 'Elysian Green', correct?
salguod
1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (Dad's Toy) - Elysian Green, inside and out
1960 Thunderbird Convertible (My Toy) -  Raven Black, Red leather
1996 BMW 318ti (My Daily Driver/Toy) - Boston Green, Dove Gray leather
www.salguod.net

Walter Youshock

Welcome to the gang!  Your parents dated in this car?  That's "provenance" for sure.  Glad it stayed in the family so long.

If you get the chance, post a photo of the data plate on the driver's side cowl blister above the brake booster.  I'll provide the car number and colors.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

R Schroeder

Very nice car. That should bring great pleasure to bring it back to show condition.
Roy

salguod

Thanks all.  I can't get to the data plate as the car is in Toledo & I'm in Columbus.  It's in storage away from my father's home as well and not easily accessed at the moment.  Once we get to it, I'll be back and post the data plate.

I'm not sure 'show' condition is in the cards, at least if you mean any further restoration work.  The plan now is simply to get it back to where we can drive it and enjoy it.  As I said, we've meant to for years and we're determined to do it this year.

I'll likely be somewhat scarce around here until at least spring time when we can get to trying to get it out.
salguod
1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (Dad's Toy) - Elysian Green, inside and out
1960 Thunderbird Convertible (My Toy) -  Raven Black, Red leather
1996 BMW 318ti (My Daily Driver/Toy) - Boston Green, Dove Gray leather
www.salguod.net

C.R. Patton II

Hello Doug

Welcome to the Cadillac & LaSalle Club Forum website.

I look forward to meeting and seeing your car at our Grand National in Boston this Summer. Also Taylor Cadillac in Toledo has a splendid car show hosted by George Louthan. There were quite a few exquisite eldorado vehicles last year.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.